• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need Gas tank strap j-bolts

funjeepsparts.com - enter part number J3240023 $1.92 each, buy 3/8-16 stainless nylocks at home depot (another $2) and 3/8" stainless washers at home depot (another $1.) Shipping from funjeepsparts is $12 base, but even so you'll come in a buck below teamcherokee. Or do what I did, buy a dozen (shipping jumps to $14) and sell/trade them in your local chapter for like 3 bucks each to cover shipping.

Weld, braze, epoxy, whatever, a nut on one end of some threaded rod. Heat and bend the end into a 90 degree elbow, trim to length.

If you have access to any junkers, you'll find that the spare tire on an XJ is held on by a J bolt similar to the gas tank ones, except it usually has a little crook in it. They're a little shorter too, but probably would work.

Me, I got a lenght of allthread from Lowes. Put a couple of nuts on one end, tight against one another then bent the allthread at a steep angle. Hooked it up then trimmed it to lenght. Have been running like this for almost a year with no problems. Total cost, less than 5 bucks.

If you have access to any junkers, you'll find that the spare tire on an XJ is held on by a J bolt similar to the gas tank ones, except it usually has a little crook in it. They're a little shorter too, but probably would work.
Yep. The spare tire one is a metric thread though, you just need to remember that while buying nuts to fit it.

mrmikey - I like that idea about cement J-bolts, best I've heard so far. I'm always worried about metal fatigue when people say to bend a carriage bolt or section of allthread, though apparently it's way more common than I thought. Me, I like my six-dollar pair of OEM bolts :)

FWIW, J-bolts are impossible to find for the MJ gas tank straps, and XJ ones cannot be modified to fit since the threads don't go far enough up the shank.

Mine broke when I took them off. So I cut off the J part where the threads started and beveled it to a point.
Then I went to Ace and got 12" of all thread and nuts.
Cut the All thread in half and beveled the end to a point.
Then welded them together.
They are a lil long but they work just fine.

Mine broke when I took them off. So I cut off the J part where the threads started and beveled it to a point.
Then I went to Ace and got 12" of all thread and nuts.
Cut the All thread in half and beveled the end to a point.
Then welded them together.
They are a lil long but they work just fine.
I did the same thing, except I had some bolts of the right dimensions hanging around which I cut the heads off and welded on. It's lasted for years.

Back