• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smooth AX-15...possible?

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I've got a '92 2wd w/AX15, 165K miles. I've had it for 6 months and the AX is a bit notchy, crunching a little when going into 2nd and sometimes 3rd, especially when cold. It isn't unbearable, but of course I'd love to have a smooth shifting trans. Is this a common characteristic of this trans with this age/miles?

I already did 1 fluid change with Mobil1, and was now trying to decide between Synchromesh and Redline. Thoughts?

It's getting to an age where it might be unavoidable, depending on how it was treated earlier in its life, but I'd try a fresh fill with synchromesh or a good synthetic and see if it quiets down. Both my AX-15's are pretty reasonable at 250+ thousand, but the 95 was very noisy when I got it at 110K, owing to the wrong oil. That one got Valvoline synthetic, and has behaved well ever since.

Too bad you have the internal slave cylinder--I'm about to change out the old brake fluid in my master-slave line to help firm up the release and engagement on my ax-15. ax-15s deserve Redline mt-90.

Back