• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 seals

jmw1

NAXJA Member #1380
I'm wondering how many here have replaced their Dana 30 two piece disconnect axle shafts with the Warn 38875 one piece shaft? More specifically I'm curious if anyone has used just the outer seal that goes where the disconnect was without using the seal that goes near the diff? If so, has it worked out ok?

The ID of my axle tube is slightly larger than the inner seal that was supplied and I can't find a good solution so I'm considering using just the outer seal. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work since it has always been that way with the disconnect setup but would like to hear what others have experienced.
Thanks
Mike

Ive done a lot of reading on this. Apparently there are at least two different size seals that you can use at the diff. Its pretty much trial and error to find the one that fits. Some kits even send you two different seals because there is no good way to know which one you need.

Everything I've read says you really should replace the diff seal, and not just the CAD seal.

Just Differentials sells a $37 kit that comes with a CAD block off plate, a CAD seal, and two different diff seals. Its a great option.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1754

misc%20006.jpg

Thanks for the info and link.

I'm all for putting a seal at the diff if possible. The seal that came with mine, and most others seal numbers that I've seen mentioned for this application are sized for a 2" ID tube and measure around 2.004 outside, The ID of my axle tube is slightly larger, around 2.025".

I contacted Just Differentials to see if I could find out what the OD on those seals is. I'll post what I find out.

Let me look up the O.D./I.D. and I'll get you the part number you need.

You HAVE to have that inner seal next to the diff. The seal at the disconect housing is only going to band-aid the leak until the oil level gets to the bottom of the shaft. It will not seal.

If I'm understanding your question right, you want to replace your 2 piece axle with a 1 piece axle and not change the location of your seal. That wouldn't work to well, as the axle is machined where the seal rides to keep it smooth. The rough part of the axle will eat up the seal pretty quick.

I went to my local Napa and picked up these seals:
cr11800
I think 2 of those #'s are actually the same seal and I only bought 3. One fit perfectly with a VERY LIGHT bit of Dremel work. It has not leaked since. It's been about 6 months.

Eric- the ID of the tube is actually around 2.025" so the seal, if there is one, would need to be around 2.029" OD to press in properly.

As far as the NAPA seals listed in the last post, I looked those up and the first three are 2.004" OD and the last one is 1.987" OD so these are similar to the one that I currently have. I sure wish my axle tube was 2" inside, like everyone else's seems to be, so I could use one of these.

I did find a seal number 11353 which has an OD of 2.051 which may be close enough that I could dremel the tube a little bit and make it fit. I would have to take about .022 out of the tube to make it fit. I'll have to think about it some more I guess.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the reason why I think this axle may have a decent chance of sealing with only the outer (CAD) seal is because the Warn shaft is machined smooth for the seal on that part of the shaft unlike the OEM shafts.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4446/89819149.jpg

They also provide a Spicer 46470 seal (the same as the inner seal on non disconnect axles) to replace the CAD seal with, which seems like fits the axle shaft real well.

Hopefully I can find a seal that will work at the diff but if not I guess I'll take a chance and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies on this.
Mike

Sorry, I was typing to fast and putting decimals everywhere but the right spot.

I have a an SKF # 13037 here on my desk but it's only meassuring 2.010. This is the seal is the one we would use on the ocasional housing that was larger inside.
Let me keep looking...

Back