• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lines From RUSTYS HELP

sigh sack

NAXJA Forum User
so ive had enough problems with rustys, the worst experience ever... I ordered the Stainless steel brakelines the rear is installed but the front, they wont attach to the factory clips (like rustys insisted they do) so now i have hanging brake lines in the front, does anyone know how or where i can buy clips that will actually hold the brakelines to the front of the car instead of having them hang freely in the front... thank you

2001 XJ 4.5 lift rustys 32x11.5x15 dunlop mud rovers and some bad ass accessories.

look at summit's site and see if they have something. what other problems have you had with rustys? i would hardly consider your brakeline clip problem my "worst experience ever" with a company.

~sm

thats just one of the many

your supposed to use your stock trac bar mount but everyone ive talk to had their siezed and couldnt detach the rod from the bracket so i hadda buy the drop HD bracket

the "extended brake lines" are a joke and unsafe and arent practical

The pitarm drop i thought should be installed cause thats a hell of an angle

i have heard bad things about braided lines and their durability. my understanding is that yj rubber lines are a better alternative anyway, you could try those and send the pos braided ones back.

~sm

crunked said:
i have heard bad things about braided lines and their durability. my understanding is that yj rubber lines are a better alternative anyway, you could try those and send the pos braided ones back.

~sm

I think the end fittings on the SS lines are not as beef, and if you overextend the line they're prone to breaking off. But with a well-tuned suspension and adequate length in the lines, you should not be over extending the lines anyways. Rubber also has a tendency to stretch over time, which can result in a different pedal feel. I'm running RE lines right now, and they seem to be of decent quality and actually have replacement brackets for the fronts.

A buddy of mine just went to Home Depot and bought some metal clips for wiring and bolted the lines in place.

If you go the YJ line route, the front part numbers from Napa are 38861 & 38862. Sorry I don't have the number for the rear. I had the YJ lines and installed the RE SS lines that came with the 5.5" XD kit because they were longer.

Just curious, did your brake lines actually bolt up to your caliper properly? The banjo hole on mine was off center, requiring some modification to make them even work. After waiting nearly 3 weeks, to get them I wasn't about to try to return them.

I still haven't found a way to retain my lines yet either, and I've had them for almost a year now... luckily I've put maybe 50-100 miles on the jeep at the most. It's one of those things that I need to do. So I'm interesting in hearing anyone's solution.

yj lines. way easier

I got the Rough Country stainless lines, and had to modify the end that fit onto the caliper a bit. I basically had to just grind a "shoulder" onto them so they seated properly.

As for holding the lines in place, do you have a pic of what's going on?

What about a good 'ol zip tie?

I have the answers! Well maybe. When you ordered the brake lines it probably meant that they would fit your fittings. Cause Rusty's sells the bracket also that mounts the new lines to the frame.

2nd I had some 1/2" conduit straps laying around. I used self tapping screws and put them around the fitting. Then I bent the clamps so it would secure the hose. Works great, and it is cheaper than ordering brackets.

Mine didn't come with the part your talking abpout either.

My XJ had a solid piece that bolted (torx) to the body that the steel brakeline then in turn screwed into.

Rusty's didn't send any "L" brackets or clips with the Steel Brake lines.

What a pain in the...

I went to a local 4x4 shop that sold RE steel brakelines. I was actually there for something else, but thought I would ask. They had some laying around from an install that didn't require them. They kicked them down to me. I stopped at NAPA on the way home to get some c-clips for them.

Crazy you didn't get any either.

They are on now and I like them, but this is one real pain as I live in an apartment now and can just fab some up. Rusty's dropped the ball on this one.

I would still purchase from them again.

Back