• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gremlins, Left side lights blow fuses

sbilbrey

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I own a 99 Cherokee Sport. It originally had 180K plus miles, I bought it with a blown motor in it and replaced the motor.

The left side lights did not work (tail light, side marker, etc). I noticed the guy before me had put a 15Amp fuse into the 10Amp socket and it was blown. I replaced it with a new 10Amp fuse and it worked for less than a day before it blew the fuse again.

I have heard these things have some electrical gremilns. I am trying to figure out the best solution. I plan on removing all the carpeting soon to do some floor pan replacement work.

Would this be a good time to rerun some of the wiring?
Is this even the right thing to do?
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sammer

Not really a problem worth rewiring for. It's got a short to ground on the left side somewhere. Trace and repair. First and easiest place to start is the trailer wiring socket if it has one, then move on to the bulb sockets and lamps.

On the back of the Jeep there is a hitch and beside it there is a metal plate where clearly there once was an electrical plug for the trailer connection.

Are you thinking that maybe that was removed and the wires were not properly terminated and that is causing the fuse issues?

That seems reasonable, I will take a look at that tonight.

In terms of the sockets, how would I test those, just a voltmeter to make sure it is getting power?

Thanks for the advice,
Sammer

you will need to check each wire to see if you have a short to ground from what was brake, tail and indicator connections. the same for the bulb sockets - check if you have a short to ground without powering anything, then operate brake, tail, etc and see if you get power.
Don't ask that particular question about FSM's - its frowned upon.
drop me a mail

Your symptom is VERY hard to understand. In all the wiring diagrams I have checked out, there is only one fuse that works all of the "parking" lights. That would include both rear tail lights, marker lights, liscence plate light, and front marker lights. But when your fuse is blown, only the left rear lights don't work??????????????

Back