• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door panel resto pics

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I've been driving around with no door panels for over a year. My XJ didn't have any when I bought. I've had a tough time finding some decent ones for a 2 door. I basically gave up.. and bought some crappy ones that I spotted about a year ago and turned my nose up. They were both warped to crap.. and mildewed.

After a lot of scrubbing with comet and using my wife steamer to even out the warpage a bit.. they didn't turn out too awful (Viynl paint/dye works wonders). Next I have to find some decent 2 dr seats... I'm running 4 dr seats that don't fold forward..

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint color HVP113.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html

I've used it on some of my plastic trim, even though its not made for plastic it seems to hold up. It in insanely durable when applied to vinyl. I painted my center console arm rest that my 40lbs beagle frequently stands on and digs her claws into and its holding up. I always ruff up the panels by using comet and a brush and sometimes scotch brite.

Try some fox-body (79-93) mustang seats, they fold forward and only require a couple holes to be drilled on the seat frame to fit the XJ pedestal.

Try some fox-body (79-93) mustang seats, they fold forward and only require a couple holes to be drilled on the seat frame to fit the XJ pedestal.
Thanks I'll keep an eye out. The only thing that worries me about the fox body seats is, I don't know if they will be as "springy" as my xj ones. As I'm sure you know.. the seat cushion is sometimes the only shock absorber your body has when hitting pot holes in an XJ.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out. The only thing that worries me about the fox body seats is, I don't know if they will be as "springy" as my xj ones. As I'm sure you know.. the seat cushion is sometimes the only shock absorber your body has when hitting pot holes in an XJ.

Take a look at some of the aftermarket seats that are direct-fit Fox-body seats, you may find what you want that way.

The only thing that worries me about the fox body seats is, I don't know if they will be as "springy" as my xj ones.
I was worried about that when I swapped in the "firm" S-10 Blazer seats but I quickly found out that the ride was much smoother--the old "springy" seats were actually amplifying everything and bouncing me in the seat. However they are not nearly as plush and comfy and I don't like long drives in them.

heh the front's are 1987 originals with 260k on them. The rear's are aftermarket but shot.. I know I need shocks but I can't decide if i'm going to cheap out and get monroe's or break the bank with bilsteins..

Back