• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Rear Bumper

Vaulter09

NAXJA Forum User
Started a new project. Awesome opportunity presented itself, soo I am going to fit this ARB TJ Rear Tire Swing Out. Will make sure I get enough pictures if ya'll are interested.
IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like your hatch is going to hit either the tubing for the spare tire mount and/or the spare tire itself once it's mounted on there. This is why most of the XJ bumpers either have the pivot mounted outboard, or the tire mounted off center. The TJ's don't have these issues since their tailgates open horizontally. Just make sure you check all your clearances (with all your gear mounted) before you get carried away with fabbing up the mounts.

From the picture it looks to me like that hatch will clear the area by hinge if the carrier is opened 90 degrees from the bumper. You'd need to open it further to clear the tire, but it looks like if the bumper was opened a full 180 degrees, it might not clear the area by the hinge.

It is on and works like a dream. Going to be building up corner protection so the fit and finish isnt up to what the final product will be.

The hatch does open and clear. Had to trim the bottom corner of the fiberglass about a quarter inch. Just the very edge of the corner where it is a single sheet.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I really didn't think it was going to. Mind posting up a few pics of what it looks like with the tire on there with the swing out open?

Can definitely post up a few more tonight.

I used the hardware from the tow hitch that the PO had installed. Basically utilizing the nut strip that all the bumper fab shops sell for the XJ. From there, I chopped the tow bar in order to use bracketry and welded up a short section of rectangular stock onto each. From there, drilled them out and drilled out the frame mounts built for the TJ. Bolted them in.

This weekend, planning on fabbing an "I" shaped bracket to utilize the factory rear bumper mounting bracket locations. Getting a little bit of a bounce on the highway since it is only secured down low.

Next step is going to be finding an easy license plate light. But man is it nice to have an open rear cargo area for...actually cargo and not the tire.

Finished the mounting setup. BUild a cross frame that mounts into the factory location. The angle iron is at the exact level as the back edge of the bumper lip. When we put the bumper up for the final time, it was sandwiched so well it didnt move even without bolts.

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg
IMG_1834.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg
IMG_1844.jpg

Back