• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure

xrayjeeper83

NAXJA Forum User
Riding into work today, I noticed that my oil pressure gauge would drop down to 0 periodical. It would only stay there for a few seconds then jump back up to around the 20 mark. I stopped and put a quart of oil in and it didnt seem to help much. Im thinking/hoping its the sensor, anyone agree.

Well, was it a quart low?

I would suspect the sending unit, but nothing compares to putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to be sure.

If you replace the sending unit, get one from the dealer or NAPA.

A quart low on oil shouldn't cause this. You can confirm with a mechanical gauge if you like, but 99% of these problems are caused by the oil pressure sending unit, especially if you don't hear any engine noise when the oil pressure reading drops.

I have had mixed (poor) luck with aftermarket sensors. I recommend you purchase it directly from Jeep for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge.

ya it sounds perfectly fine, when the gauge drops to 0

I forgot to mention that when I checked the dipstick that the bottom 1/4 of the stick seemed dry but then oil was up past the full line????

You may need to wait longer between stopping the engine and checking the oil. Wait till you can't hear it trickling into the oil pan anymore.

For the record, I've run a 4.0 with as little as 1.5 quarts of oil in it, and the oil pressure was at 20 and suddenly dropped to 5... on the highway. Was borrowing the MJ I now own from its previous owner and didn't realize how bad he was on maintenance, pulled over and ended up dumping 4.5 quarts into it before it read full on the dipstick. The thing sucks up oil like I don't give it any gas, I put another 3 quarts into it last week - it was at 35psi or so beforehand.

I think that the rear main seal may be going/gone....went out and checked it and it barely had any on it and there was oil in 2 puddles under the jeep. I park on grass/mud and hadnt noticed any oil. So Ill replace that tomorrow(hopefully it wont take long) and filler up and see what happends

Well, personally I would put a gauge on it to see if it needs rebuilding first.

However, while you are in there don't forget to re-torque the rod and main caps, the bolts work loose over time.

Also, have you given any thought to the oil pump? At a minimum clean the pickup tube screen.

Also-also, give the upper RMS as quick shot of silicone lubricant so it will slide in easier without tearing.

Good luck.

hahaha... and "dead battery / won't start / what is this heater control valve and can I eliminate it" threads are all winter, while "my AC is broken" threads are all summer, and "my brake lines blew up / my RMS is leaking like the exxon valdez" are in the fall. That's what I've observed anyways...

Ok, when you say you stopped and put a quart of oil in; does this mean that you pulled the dipstick and checked, then after installing said quart of oil, you checked again? Or did you just put a quart of oil in with the idea of that being the universal cure for engine problems?

Oh I know that wasnt the universal cure. Knew i was a bit low, I stopped to price sensors and pumps to get an idea of what i could be in for.

And yes I know its a noob/DA question but I like to have someone else input before I go spending money that I really dont have.

I am betting it is just a bad sender then. I just bought the cheapie one from advance auto parts and it works just fine. Should not set you back more than about $25 at the most.

Just like wolfpack, i bought the cheapie $25 deal at Advance when i broke mine the first time i changed the oil on my heep. Been working great the past 5ish years.

good luck!

well I replaced the sensor but now all my gauges dont work, started last night on the ride home from work(replaced sensor today). Found that its the fuse but havent had time to track down the short.

Just like wolfpack, i bought the cheapie $25 deal at Advance when i broke mine the first time i changed the oil on my heep. Been working great the past 5ish years.

good luck!

Heh, Holly Springs eh. My best friend still lives up there. We were roomates in college at State. Drives a Nice Blue Cherokee, 31's and a stroker that he has been troubleshooting. His parents live in FV. So do my god parents for that matter.

Heh, Holly Springs eh. My best friend still lives up there. We were roomates in college at State. Drives a Nice Blue Cherokee, 31's and a stroker that he has been troubleshooting. His parents live in FV. So do my god parents for that matter.

Small world huh? States a great school, i'm ready for the ACC tourney to start! Oddly enough my parents are looking to re-locate to FV!

I loved it while I was there. Graduated in 08'. His parents live on Purfoy (sp?) Road heading towards Angier. I think My godparents live on 8th near the Presbyterian Church.

As a typical NC'er, I can give perfect directions on how to get to either house, but you will be damn lucky to get one road name unless I have a map handy.

Back