• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lost driver side rear tire and axle shaft

yourmom

NAXJA Forum User
So my new outer axle shaft bearing froze up and spun off of the shaft leaving my tire and axle shaft rolling past me on the freeway. My ? is should I fix the d35 or replace it with something different.

I just had Sumner National press on new bearings a little over a month ago and now I have a bearing with catastrophic failure.

I just had Sumner National press on new bearings a little over a month ago and now I have a bearing with catastrophic failure.

And what does the vendor have to say?

I just got it towed home. Have not talked to them yet but i'm sure they have a whole bag of smoke signals to blow

Get them to pay for the tow and any damage and replace the axle with an 8.25 or XJ d44 if you want bolt-in, or an 8.8 if you don't mind doing some welding. Fixing the d35 would be throwing good money after bad, it doesn't matter if it's their good money or yours it's still a waste.

The lady that stopped to see if everything was ok said that i did a pretty good job keepping it under control. And funny yes but then i saw my tire an daxle shaft speeding past me and right towards a truck on the side of the freeway.

Actually I pulled this one several years back on a brand new Landrover Defender V8 - needless to say Landrover swore blind I had done something I shouldn't have (yeah, left the road)

Thats just it I have'nt even been wheeling yet. I installed the axle shafts and there is'nt anything I did to make them defective.

Well i know how to press the bearing on just did'nt have a press so the owner of Sumner National himselfpressed them on.

Although they may shift the blame to something you did... I would say most definitely YES !!!!
Bearings dont self destruct a month after they are installed without it be a defect in workmanship or manufacture.

I would. if they just serviced your rear end and you have just drove it (no off road) and the thing has a failure.... id take it right back to them and say i want my money back and like everyone in here says, get a 8.25, d44 or the ford 8.8. all better then the d35... good luck.

so they say that they are only resposible for replacing the bearing.
what are my chances of coming across a D44 axle with 4-11 gears

I lost an axle and wheel on a D44 on Coal Bank Pass in Colorado last summer. The bearing burned up. It was 2 weeks old and I can't figure out why it cratered. The axle had plenty of oil and I pressed the bearing on, so I know it was done right.

Dumb question, but you did grease the bearing right? That is assuming you have a non-clip setup with an inner oil seal. Proper bearing, new bearing retainer put on in the correct orientation and new seals used? Otherwise, I'd say they dorked the bearing pressing it on.

Back