• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Directions to Hermit Valley Campground

Re: Directions to Hernit Valley Campground

Be sure to remember to jump into lake alpine after a dusty trail ride!

Can rightseatsis' motorhome make it into base camp? Her brother is a little soft and needs a private throne. :anon:

Can rightseatsis' motorhome make it into base camp? Her brother is a little soft and needs a private throne. :anon:
How big is the motor home? Highway 4 could be a little sketchy with a large rig.

20'

Winnebago "View" Motorhome on a Dodge Sprinter chassis.

Highway 4 could be a little sketchy with a large rig.

Yeah, on highway 4 after the entrance to Slick Rock and Alpine Lake is a windy, twisty, tight, little road. It drops down to one lane in areas and for most of the distance there is no yellow center dividing line. I have seen RV’s on that road, just not a area to drive fast, but it has some great views!

Here is a quick map of the skinny part of highway 4 and the start of the two trails and the Hermit Valley Campground:

SlickRockMap.jpg

The Hermit Valley Campground is just off to the rightside of the road when heading east on 4, the camp sites are less then a few hundred feet off the road and easy to get RV's and trailers in and out. (At least it was last time I was there)

Last edited by a moderator:

Like Dave said, it is easily doable. You will just need to take it slow and keep an eye out for oncoming traffic.

Alright, my OCD is kicking in... isn't it "Hermit" Valley with an M instead of N?
Haha thats been buggin me too. Glad im not the only one!

Do we need to make reservations for the campground? If not, are we in a group camp area, or is it individual camp sites?

I plan to do Strawberry on Wednesday 21 July, work on Thursday, and be at Hermit campground sometime Friday afternoon. Save me a good spot. :) I'll sleep under my Jeep.

I'll plan on getting there Thurs evening with the camper towing the Jeep. How long a drive from Stockton? Looks like it could be around 2 hrs?

Sounds about right, although in a camper with tow would take more time, as expected. There are some tight turns on the "one lane" section of Highway 4. The switch back, looks like a 300 deg, turn going down hill just past Mosquito Lake.

Josh

I'll plan on getting there Thurs evening with the camper towing the Jeep. How long a drive from Stockton? Looks like it could be around 2 hrs?

Back