• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny mount

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 xj and wanted to replace the transmission mount. Does anyone know where I can get one at a good price, preferably a poly mount or something a little stiffer than stock soft rubber?

Installing a POLY transmission mount will transmit A LOT of driveline vibrations, but if you don't mind them; you can find them on the Summit Racing or Daystar website and the factory mounts can be purchased from RockAuto Parts online.

29866-md.jpg

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does it matter if your tranny is manual/5-spd vs auto? I would think they'd have a different profile, and hence different mounts, but all the listings I'm finding don't mention it. They just say "except for Peugeot" which is not relevant for me, pretty sure I have an AX-15 (98 Sport). I'm planning to put on new engine mounts soon and was thinking of doing this while I had it up...I'm at 155K and it just seemed like a good idea, if I can figure it out.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does it matter if your tranny is manual/5-spd vs auto? I would think they'd have a different profile, and hence different mounts, but all the listings I'm finding don't mention it. They just say "except for Peugeot" which is not relevant for me, pretty sure I have an AX-15 (98 Sport). I'm planning to put on new engine mounts soon and was thinking of doing this while I had it up...I'm at 155K and it just seemed like a good idea, if I can figure it out.

Weird ain't it!!

No, doesn't matter auto/manual. As I posted earlier in this thread there are two mounts for the non-Peugeot transmissions, one is 3" tall, the other is 1 1/2" tall. If you have a 98+ XJ, definitely the 1 1/2".

84-97 XJ and 86-92 MJ you have to crawl underneath to determine if it is the 3" or 1 1/2" mount.

Looking at the exhaust mount by the catalytic converter--is it part of a large metal plate that is attached to the bottom of the transmission, and then the trans mount attaches to the plate on the top of the mount and the bottom of the mount attaches to the crossmember? The key being if the exhaust mounts to that plate.

I have the polymount in my 01 w/ auto and yes there is alot of vibes when at idle, as far as engine mounts i went with brown dog offroad and used there ultraflex rubber mounts. great product.

Get an OEM mount if you don't go poly. It will last much longer.

Glad to see you're replacing transmission mount with your motor mounts. We always recommend replacing both at once.
And thanks for the kind words.

Back