• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need LCA cam adjusters. Where?

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

Its been a while but im in need of a cam adjuster (think thats what it is) for the lower control arm. It is installed between the mount and arm.

I looked at all the vendors i used to use web sites and cant find anything. Any ideas besides junk yards?

Thanks

LCA cam adjusters?

Are you looking for LCA shims to adjust your caster?

EDIT: for roll-your-own shims Go-Jeep has taken the hassle out of it for you: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

Just scroll down the linked page.

Last edited:
IF you are in need of shims for the LCA caster adjustment; you are welcome to all the shims that I removed from my LCAs when I did the RE Drop Bracket installation several years ago.
Just pay me for shipping which cant be more than $10.

Contact me at: [email protected] if you are interested.

Charles

I think he means the cam bolts.

That reminds me- is there really a difference between using a $35 bolt kit, and shimming the mount at the body?

Last edited:
the cam bolts go through the bushing at the lca to axle but i dont think xjs axle brackets are slotted and the guide for the cams to work isnt there either.. i think most have two bolts at the back of the lca to body mount... and that mount should be slotted.. how are you checking your camber/caster?

I think he means the cam bolts.

That reminds me- is there really a difference between using a $35 bolt kit, and shimming the mount at the body?

I have never seen an XJ with Factory cam adjusters on the LCAs.
I have seen them on some TJs.

I'm fairly sure all XJs use the shim method.

It sounds like he's talking about the adjusting shoe.

They do? I pulled a set of WJ LCAs last weekend and the bolts looked exactly like XJ bolts.

I have never seen an XJ with Factory cam adjusters on the LCAs.
I have seen them on some TJs.

I'm fairly sure all XJs use the shim method.

I read something, somewhere, about the cam bolts- maybe in a Haynes- and saw that suspension companies offered cam bolts listed as working on XJs, but I haven't actually seen any cammed bolts on any DCP vehicle I've worked on (I just read the same thing about the front struts on a van, and it didn't have them either). Going to do mine with shims either way, but I was curious about that.

thanks for all the responses this is great. Sorry wasnt able to respond

In addition to the shim, which i can now make, I believe I also need the "shoe"

its labeled "alignment shoe" in figure 2.

Any idea where one could acquire this?

Thank you very much!

[FONT=&quot]
In addition to the shim, which I can now make, I believe I also need the "shoe" its labeled "alignment shoe" in figure 2.
Any idea where one could acquire this?

A Pick-a-part type salvage yard is your best bet.
Take a couple big 13/16" wrenches for the LCA bolts and 9/16" combo wrench for the two nuts on the back of the shoe (this is what my 01 uses)
A hammer and a drift will be useful for knocking out the LCA bolts.[/FONT]

13/16" is real close, and good if you don't have the right one, but they're actually 21mm.

A 7/8" is definitely not worth trying... don't ask...

13/16" is real close, and good if you don't have the right one, but they're actually 21mm.
A 7/8" is definitely not worth trying... don't ask...

Oh, you are right about the bolt actually being 21mm.
A 13/16" is a snug fit, which is good.
I have found that once the bolt head size is 3/4" / 19mm or bigger, that American size wrenches and sockets work fine.
The only large metric tool I own is a 36MM-1/2" socket, used for the front axle shaft nut.

Agreed. I actually use my 30mm socket whenever I need to remove a d30 pinion nut, since they're 1 1/8" which works out to about 28 or 29mm.

Back