• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie locker noise-stranger than normal

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have had my aussie locker in the rear of XJ Dana 44,5 spd nv3550 about a week now 600 miles.It does make a normal clank and lock un-lock bang,BUT I just went to turn in my parking spot and it made this "ping" noise.I backed up and did a left circle and then a right circle still clicks like it should.I just wondered if anybody had a "ping" noise when turning into a parking spot slow and normal.I did not want to pull the cover off and check it.I have expensive gear lube in there.Roadranger 500,000 mile Heavy duty Truck-Semi full synthetic lube.Or am I just paranoid..............:eek:

Last edited:
Just paranoid, i can't think of anything in there that could go "ping" unless a spring flew out but I doubt you could hear that. That sounds like something in the brakes or leaf springs.

Yeah I think it sounded like that cause i was slowly giving it throttle into the parking spot.I paused for a second then gave it gas-- sounded just like pin spring but loud i am sure if it was a pin I would'nt have herd it though.I just wanted to see if that sound happened to some body before-more than likely with a manual trans.

It looks like it would be hard for a pin to come out from the way it is installed,and the sring sits in a cavity and is not exposed,BUT has anybody ever had a pin break? It was loud and I could have sworn it sounded like it hit the diff cover.But with the gear lube in there the sound would be muffled I think and more so would not be loud-It was just as loud sounding when it does the "bang!" thing...:(.

I did epoxy a round magnet on the cover-the kind GM puts in there trans pans just incase sumtin let go and would not ruin my 4.88's I just put in.Ehh maybe I could fish around in there with a small magnet near the one I glued on the cover to see if I get bad news..............

you are paranoid--of course, that doesn't rule out the fact that someone, somewhere, is out to get you.

I don't believe you could hear a spring letting go over the ambient noise of the engine and vehicle.

A front coil spring taking off, now that would an entirely different matter.

Naw I just have a good amount of $ and my labor into it.you know got the axle gears bearings,seals,explorer disc set up cutting and grinding plus the cost of the axle it self-which suprisingly only $75 guy at JY had no clue what I was buying!!..........I am a auto/truck tech and have been for 27 years now and I have almost no comebacks.I work at a Volvo Truck dealer now-big rigs.-which is why I am over thinking this in depth,That's just me!!!!!!!!!:wierd:

I did epoxy a round magnet on the cover-the kind GM puts in there trans pans just incase sumtin let go and would not ruin my 4.88's I just put in.Ehh maybe I could fish around in there with a small magnet near the one I glued on the cover to see if I get bad news..............

I tried that once but must have been bad epoxy because the magnet came off, attached itself to the ring gear and rode 1/2 way around until it reached the pinion. I should have used a softer magnet.

OK I just went for a drive it clicks on corners tight corners.I have been driving it this week and now after the parking episode it is less jerky than it used to be.i mean it seemed like it was locking more frequently before it was more "grabby" on turns and was a bit to learn to deal with.now it is not that bad-I went on the grass and gunned it a bit and both tires spun.Is it possible that the break in was so sudden? I turned hard in a circle and the drivers side would chirp and the passengers did not-and same for the other passengers chirped drivers side clicked.Man I hate this not knowing crap!!!!!!! ANYBODY have it seem like it broke in suddenly?:hang:

Mine is in the front, and I use a Posi-Lok so it is pretty much invisible except when I am off road. I just don't know.

You could clean up the outside of the axle and use a clean pan to catch the gear oil--not that much trouble for peace of mind.

I think if I remove the fill plug I may be able to look at where the pins and springs go and turn the wheels to see all of them-plus do the spin test wheile I am at it-If they look good and not broken and the spin test passes-I won't think about it again.It just seems strange it all of a sudden did that slow parking and now drives smoother.............

I would pull the cover if you're that worried.

Normal operation-
On a right turn, on power, out side tire shouldn't scrub, inside will lock, chirp, and bang.

Yup pulled the cover this morning-IT WAS ME!!!! There were NO metal pieces and all the springs and pins are intact.I have an Aussie in the front Dana 30 and when it was new it did all the "bang" "click" "clung" stuff and went quiet gradually-I was worried bout this one cause it was staying locked in pretty good and took some force when turning in parking lot to un-lock and go "bang" But after I herd the lound "ping" it threw me off-And after that it soulded like my Dana 30 did when it was new-Ehh maybe it was'nt seated correctly? Maybe it sound like it did cause I was just creeping into the spot? dunno BUT I know I won't ever think it is bad or broke any more after I"ve seen that it looks as it did when I installed -NEW and undamaged---SO that being said IF any body has that happen to them , "ping" sound,It's only the paranoids one's that will wonder.FA GEDDA 'BOW DIT!!!! It's fine.:twak:

Last edited:
wow even after people told you not to worry, which you still did, you opened it and discovered inside your diff that youre paranoid. nice

Ahhhhh... closure! :D

wow even after people told you not to worry, which you still did, you opened it and discovered inside your diff that youre paranoid. nice

FYI I am a perfectionist-I work on Heavy Duty Trucks now-money is GREAT!!!!-but have been a dealer-GM- tech for over 10 years-26 in the repair buisness-I can pull out an engine rebuild/repair it re-install fill all fluids including coolant-shut the hood-done drive it and not worry about it-return to customer and not even think about a come back--SO if something does not sound normal to me-I all ready have an aussie front locker and it sounded different to me-that is what YOU may consider paranoid-I consider it just me -as stated earlier-great coment by the way-I can definetly tell what kind of person you are-
Plus I guess you can't even figure out what you want-3.5 leafs or 4.5 leafs-yes I looked:gag:
and Joe Peters is the only one that told me I was paranoid-so "people" should have been "person" just for correction perposes.

The past couple months my aussie has been making a loud ping noise when turning tight corners and it did it the other day when I was going around a curve at 55. It pings loud and feels like something lets loose in the diff, and the rear end of the jeep jerks. I've pulled the cover but don't see anything out of the norm. I've been running it for over a year and it still functions properly but it scares me a bit when it happens at highway speeds.

Back