• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust with no tailpipe, rear muffler support?

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
My exhaust is as follows: manifold to cat to muffler and thats it. I like it, but im concerned about a support for the back of the muffler. Im wondering what others have done with the same setup as me. The original next support is at the top of the tail pipe. Does anybody have any advice for a mount or pictures? :roll:

My Jeeps an 87 if that matters.

they make universal hangers that are basically a bandclamp with a metal hook/hanger piece attached to it. thats what i ran on that same setup. i used some odds and ends of other universal hangers i had around so that it would reach the stock hanger point on the body

they make universal hangers that are basically a bandclamp with a metal hook/hanger piece attached to it. thats what i ran on that same setup. i used some odds and ends of other universal hangers i had around so that it would reach the stock hanger point on the body

so, you think the stock hanger spot for the tail pipe isnt too far away?

ive done that and also drilled a hole under the rear pass. seat to mount a universal hanger. however i advise against this setup, or at least put a turn down on the muffler to keep heat off the axle. i washed mine a while back and the water sizzled off. ive since put a tailpipe on.

I was considering running this type of exhaust setup, as my tailpipe is always rattling betwwen my gas tank skid, and my leafs (less than 1/4" on either side). I was going to put a turn down tip on it though. How was heat on the underside of the rear seat area?

My exhaust is as follows: manifold to cat to muffler and thats it. I like it, but im concerned about a support for the back of the muffler. Im wondering what others have done with the same setup as me. The original next support is at the top of the tail pipe. Does anybody have any advice for a mount or pictures? :roll:
I just did the same thing because my tail pipe was rusty and quite honestly I am too cheap to get a new one right now. The problem I am seeing is the lack of solid places to mount a hanger. I used a plumbers pipe hanger i got from lowes and used a self tapping screw and drilled up into a more solid area just behind the cat but before the muffler. I am concerned that is just not cutting it tho because the exhaust bushing and metal bracket that is above the cross member is hitting the cross member when I got over large bumps from a lack of support. I need more support at the very end after the muffler. I hope you find a solution so I can get an idea how to support my set up.

The muffler is not heavy. Just put a turn down on it and call it a day.

It's bad because of the stress it puts on the connections. I'd create some kind of support then get the seals all the way to the manifold checked for leaks in case they've gotten messed up.

But also, you don't want exhaust venting under the floorpan. It makes it easier for fumes to find a way into the cabin, plus the heat increases rusting.

Back