• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to speed spring sag?

cftj xj

NAXJA Forum User
A couple months ago, I bought a set of RC rear springs. (4.5" full pack) to replace my 3" AALs. I'm also running a set of lift 1.5" or so shackles. Dirty methods says its closer to 7" lift.

(I'm running 3" Rustys coils with 2" spacers in the front)

I think the rear is too tall now, what is the best way to bring it down an inch or to? It it matters, I'm going to be doing an 8.8 swap in the near future, (its ready to bolt in, and sitting in the garage now, just need new ubolts and gear lube)

I only want to run 33s, and am regretting getting the 4.5" instead of the 3.5" :bawl:

A couple months ago, I bought a set of RC rear springs. (4.5" full pack) to replace my 3" AALs. I'm also running a set of lift 1.5" or so shackles. Dirty methods says its closer to 7" lift.

(I'm running 3" Rustys coils with 2" spacers in the front)

I think the rear is too tall now, what is the best way to bring it down an inch or to? It it matters, I'm going to be doing an 8.8 swap in the near future, (its ready to bolt in, and sitting in the garage now, just need new ubolts and gear lube)

I only want to run 33s, and am regretting getting the 4.5" instead of the 3.5" :bawl:

maybe im missing something, but couldnt you just take the shackles off the back?

Put your mother in law in the back and drive down rough roads and over rail road tracks.

Just kiddin' I'm with the other 2, replace the shackles with stockers.

I had thought of that, but I was hoping to keep the stronger shackles.

As it sits, the longer shackles are setting a couple degrees front of vertical. (leaf spring end is 1/4-1/2" forward of body end)

DSCN0513.jpg

I'm afraid putting the stock length shackles back on would make it worse.

That is a terrible shackle angle, that thing must ride like crap. Get some shackle relocation boxes and fix that issue once and be done with it. You can fine tune the angle of you shackles and amount of lift.

Everything I've read says, the relocation brackets would make the rear higher (ride nicer, but higher) or am I missing something? It has always seemed to me that the RC Springs should have been 3 or 4 inches longer... I seem to remember the shackle angle was better with my AAL and springs...

my shackle is 6.5" CtC. I'll have to trig it out tomorrow..HDs bracket is down 3", forward 5" (max) I may just start looking for new springs too.. its too bad I'm past my 60 days or I'd return them to RC...

Last edited:
My springs now measure 50" eye to eye. If I put the stock shackles back on, my angle goes from +4 to +12, but it does bring the height down.

If I use the drop bracket, (3" down, 5" forward) it improves the shackle angle but adds an inch in height.

I'd need 55" long springs to get a good shackle angle, it would also bring the height down.

springs.jpg

anybody know the length of a stock main leaf?

It's going to change depending on how compressed the springs are, thus the need for shackles. Pretty sure you know this already though since you seem like an engineer sort, as you're drawing stuff out :thumbup: to see what will happen.

I understand length is going to vary somewhat as the spring cycles, but there is no way to get my current set of springs to provide me a decent shackle angle. I don't know if I got the wrong set from RC or what, but they seem too short to me. (and did when I installed them too)

When I see a stock cherokee in the parking lot, I'll have to put a tape to the spring and see what it measures out to. At rest, on level ground, lift spring and stock springs should be (about) the same length.

You can temporarily or permanently remove a leaf from the leaf pack to allow them to break in more/sag. That will lower your ride height and help the shackle angle slightly as they sag. When I did mine I used S-10 springs (including main) that were longer than stock with boomerang shackles to get lift and a good shackle angle. From the aftermarket lift springs I've seen it almost seems like some of the aftermarket companies kept the stock spring length even though it's arched more than stock, which gives that shorter eye to eye.

From the aftermarket lift springs I've seen it almost seems like some of the aftermarket companies kept the stock spring length even though it's arched more than stock, which gives that shorter eye to eye.

That's what it looked like to me. I didn't have a tape with me over lunch, but saw a stocker in the parking look. Peeking under, the rear eye of the spring was an inch or more behind the upper shackle mount. I'm guessing the stock springs are 53" or so eye to eye loaded.

but that still doesn't tell me how to fix the problem...

Nope. Should be tilted toward the back at the bottom at about 45 degrees.

Back