• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires: E or C

JeepersdoitDeeper

NAXJA Forum User
School me on tire load ranges. Looking at some Goodyears. They have them in both "C" and "E" load ranges.

What are the benefits of the heavier E over the C tire?

Looking at 265/75/16 Duratracs. Going on a 2 door.

The load range E can handle more weight IIRC.

Load Range C should be fine for you. My Kumho's are Load Range C. Now if this was a full size truck you'd probably want a load range E.

I will be running aftermarket bumpers/tire carrier/winch. The extra weight won't affect it?

Nah, you'll be fine. load range E will handle A LOT more weight. The C will handle a Jeep with plenty of Armor.

load ranges has to do with ply rating. load range c has strength equivalent of 6 plys but not always will have 6 plys. load range e has a 10 ply rating but not necessarily 10 plys. an xj will never need a 10 ply tire cause it doesnt have the strength to pull that kind of weight. sidewalls have nothing to do with load ranges. most sidewalls are 2 plys, but some manufacturers use 3 ply sidewalls. YOU'LL BE FINE WITH "C" RATING

Side wall pressure has nothing to do with the pressure you run on the street or offroad. And, yes the side wall is softer on the C range vs. E range due to the lesser number of plies on the C.

Unless you have a truck and you haul a lot in the bed get a C load range.

Side wall pressure has nothing to do with the pressure you run on the street or offroad. And, yes the side wall is softer on the C range vs. E range due to the lesser number of plies on the C.

Unless you have a truck and you haul a lot in the bed get a C load range.

sidewalls are not softer in c's than e's. The # of plies are on the tread area and only go up to the shoulder area of the sidewall, and not all the way to the bead area. ok, retreads only retread the tread area and not the sidewalls, so an e can be retreaded to a c and visa-versa without adjusting the sidewall.

sidewalls are not softer in c's than e's. The # of plies are on the tread area and only go up to the shoulder area of the sidewall, and not all the way to the bead area. ok, retreads only retread the tread area and not the sidewalls, so an e can be retreaded to a c and visa-versa without adjusting the sidewall.
have you ever lifted or installed either set of tires onto a rim? a load range E tire does have a stiffer sidewall and does have more plys in the side wall its rated with a higher load carring capacity because of that fact!

if you dont believe me go to a tire shop ask for 245/75/16 its a common size in both e load range and c load range and feel the difference!

Back