• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 help (Bearings and seals)

tomcat

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am trying to finish assembly of my axle shafts in a '89 MJ Dana 44 housing, it had the metric tonne package.

I used Timken Set10 bearings, and Timken 2689S seals. when i slide the axles into the housings, the seals stick out of the housing about a quarter inch. this combined with the thickness of the backing plate nets just about a half inch gap. the thickness of the disk brake brackets and parking brake plates is somewhere around .38 inches. this leaves quite a bit of space and the brake plates move all over when the backing plates are tightened down, and i am certain this is not right.

when i took the axle apart, it had cone/race bearings on it, and i thought that the set10 bearing set was just a new design. do i need to find the older race/cone style for this to work right? anyone know what the part number would be for those?

i mic'd the bearing surface in the housing, and the depth of the bearing/seal and the bearing is fully seated in the bore.

both sides are like this, I didn't put the long shaft in the short side of the carrier.

any ideas would be appreciated.:repair:

I'm not sure what your problem is.. but I just the axle bearings on a xj d44 this weekend. Timken set10 is the correct bearing set. I dont know about the seal pn. I also read on the internet that there is 2 different timken set10 bearings - one is tapered and the other is not. You want the taper.

turns out is was that stupid Timken seal. Rockauto provided it as a number, my guess is for the taper bearing instead of the flanged bearing. the SKF seals are not as tall, and provide the correct distance to preload the bearing and hold the disk bracketry in place.

of course, i now have to cut off brand new bearings to swap the seals out. hope this helps someone in the future, Timken 2689S seals have the correct ID and OD, but are TOO TALL to work with disks and the TJ D44 Backing plate. maybe some other configuration, but not this one.

turns out is was that stupid Timken seal. Rockauto provided it as a number, my guess is for the taper bearing instead of the flanged bearing. the SKF seals are not as tall, and provide the correct distance to preload the bearing and hold the disk bracketry in place.

of course, i now have to cut off brand new bearings to swap the seals out. hope this helps someone in the future, Timken 2689S seals have the correct ID and OD, but are TOO TALL to work with disks and the TJ D44 Backing plate. maybe some other configuration, but not this one.

When I did Explorer brakes on my 87 XJ 44 I used this one:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...earchText=&categoryDisplayName=&parentId=12-0

I've helped several TJ buddies do shafts, and/or disc brake conversions on their TJ 44s and they have used the same ones too. Hope this helps.

Back