• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unconventional tools

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Just bought a set of 4 hemostats off eBay for $3 plus postage. The long one went in the truck bag for misc stuff (holding wires together most often) but I really bought them for having around the house. One of them is really short and will be good for pulling ticks and stuff off my dogs ears. Another is long with a curved tip, which is really nice for pulling jumpers on motherboards.

Another unconventional tool that I have found to be pretty helpful is a long-neck fish hook removal tool. The long arm with short mouth is really nice for pulling things out of tight spots that I can't reach with traditional pliars.

Last edited:
You are thinking of the left-handed metric screwdriver.

Just bought a set of 4 hemostats off eBay for $3 plus postage. The long one went in the truck bag for misc stuff (holding wires together most often) but I really bought them for having around the house. One of them is really short and will be good for pulling ticks and stuff off my dogs ears. Another is long with a curved tip, which is really nice for pulling jumpers on motherboards.

Another unconventional tool that I have found to be pretty helpful is a long-neck fish hook removal tool. The long arm with short mouth is really nice for pulling things out of tight spots that I can't reach with traditional pliars.
jumpers... motherboards? Man, I haven't seen that in a long time :( I miss being able to actually configure a motherboard using jumpers, now it's all in the BIOS.

A very specially shaped coathangar wire came in EXTREMELY useful last night. I dropped one of my impact sockets down into the @#%@#%@#%^$#ing frame rail while removing a UCA bolt :smsoap: took me 20 minutes to get it back.

Aside from that, I use my 6" 3/8" drive extension as an alignment pin while installing LCAs, and my pitman arm remover to pop the TRE on the tie rod out of the drag link - works great because there's too much flex in the links to really pop that one out by hammering on it.

Made my own control arm bracket spreader to make installing lift kits easier.

5" length of 1/2" threaded rod and (2) 3/4" nuts. Weld one nut about 1/2" into the threaded rod, the other leave loose. Thread the loose nut to the middle (or a bit farther) of the threaded rod, slip the long threaded end of the rod into one bracket hole at an angle until you can pivot the welded end into the other hole. Turn the loose nut out to the inside of the bracket pinching the rod in the bracket, then hold the welded end nut with a wrench, then turn the loose nut with a wrench spreading the bracket.

Aftermarket control arms or drop bracket kits now fit easily. :thumbup:

Last edited:
A very specially shaped coathangar wire came in EXTREMELY useful last night. I dropped one of my impact sockets down into the @#%@#%@#%^$#ing frame rail while removing a UCA bolt :smsoap: took me 20 minutes to get it back.

a "specially shaped coat hanger wire" also works out well when you find out one of those little accidents occured with the girl you met at the bar and was drunk off your @$$:wierd::skull2:

^hahahahahahahahaha

Back