• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln weld pak 100HD

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
would this be a good unit to Learn on? I found one locally for $180 and i've been doing a little research, I am ready to buy a cheap welder to learn with, I thought about a Harbor frieght, but i know lincoln and Miller are "The Brands" to go with..

I've been watching lots of How-to videos, and i have come to the conclusion the best thing for me to do, is just buy one and teach myself..

SO.. Harbor frieght special OR a Lincoln Weld pak 100hd?:jester:

Ask Muddybeast how his HF welder is doing. He has had it for a couple months now.

I've had several different weldpak models and I can atest to the fact that they are great welders, I had a 175HD that ran on 220v but downgraded to the 100 when I moved and didn't have access to 220v any longer and I've got nothing bad to say about either. As with any welder, quality, fresh wire will give you the best welds. My current weldpak 100HD runs best on fresh innersheild wire in the .035" flavor for most everything I do around the shop.

If you can get a good deal on the Lincoln I say go for it, for a few extra bucks your welding experience will be far better and will make ig easier for you to learn on a quality piece of machinery.

My .02

What will you be welding and which HF model are you looking at? I just bought the HF 90amp flux core mig because I had a coupon and it was cheap. It's not a bad unit except that I thought it would be good for thin sheet steel and it's not. It only has a high and low setting, the lowest being 63 amps which blows holes in sheet. Plus flux core burns hotter too. The HF dual 171 is a nicer unit and is adjustable down to 35 amps but triple the price (compared to the 90amp) so you may as well get your lincoln. Still, for the price and for learning HF isn't bad...
another .02

100 hd!
ive got one, and while flux core welding has it's weaknesses, the 100hd can be converted to shielded, for about $150 + the bottle.

with flux core, you wont be building any extreme buggy's, or doing axle work, but it's a great budget welder to learn on imho. and most importantly, its NOT harbor freight....

100 hd!
ive got one, and while flux core welding has it's weaknesses, the 100hd can be converted to shielded, for about $150 + the bottle.

with flux core, you wont be building any extreme buggy's, or doing axle work, but it's a great budget welder to learn on imho. and most importantly, its NOT harbor freight....
I was thinking i would use it as a Flux welder for now, Practice on scrap metel, throw some chunks in a vice and weld up some angles..

I've heard this unit can handle 1/4"-3/8s max, and i figure when i get a rythem, i would get a Mig kit and bottle of 75/25 and see if i can build some sliders.. maybe a bumper. obviously it's all about how fast of a learner i am:eyes:

Buy the Lincolin, leave it fluxcore get yourself a chipping hammer and a wire brush. Also buy some cheap insurance, go to your nearest hardware store, buy a hand held propane torch and a couple of bottles of Map Gas. Map Gas burns hotter than propane, and it makes a world of difference when you preheat first before using a lower powered welder. Have fun burnen some wire, start hot and adjust your wire speed as needed. Also practice on scrap that is about the same thickness as the material you plan on building with.

I've heard this unit can handle 1/4"-3/8s max, and i figure when i get a rythem, i would get a Mig kit and bottle of 75/25 and see if i can build some sliders.. maybe a bumper. ...

With the 100 amp class machine in question, it would probably be a multiple pass process to weld 1/4. But 3/16" single pass is probably the max single pass material spec for that welder. Add gas and solid wire and you're probably down to 1/8" material.

That's not to say this isn't a good deal and good machine to learn with, and really it will do the majority of fabwork that a hobby jeeper would want. I just wouldn't want you to over estimate the capability of this machine.

I've got the a weldpak140 and the manual says i can weld 5/16 with flux, but i still like to bevel joints in 1/4 to ensure full weld penetration.

These little flux core welders are amazingly versatile; it's nice to be able to plug it in at virtually any location; campgrounds, a friends house , etc, etc. I've welded a cage with mine and attached a winch bumper to the plated frame with mine and all welds have stood all the abuse i can throw at them.

For the price, I would buy it to learn with but would think about upgrading or borrowing a bigger welder for some of the thicker stuff.

I got the lincold SP100(same as weldpack but more settings) as my first welder. I run flux core through it and it is awesome. Best $200 I have ever spent on a tool. Buying used welders is the best bang for the buck, especially when from a reputable company like lincoln.

fluxcore is GREAT for the farm, but the $200-300 you'd spend on converting it to gas is gonna run out quick, paying you to clean the welds.... maybe you guys got kids to do it for you... but i cannot express how happy i am to be rid of fluxcore!

Back