• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ 35s or 36??

crystalcleanteam

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so Here is the issue I need new tires and don't know what to do? What can these new axles handle??

I have a 2001 XJ with a 79 bronco narrowed high pinion 44 up front with a powerlock locker and 4:56 gears and a XJ 44 in the rear with a locker. I also currently run 4.5" lift and just installed the HD engineering shackle brackets so the back is at 5.25? Want to stay low and bumpstop accordingly.

I have not swapped in the new axles yet but they are finished and am ready to, currently I have the 30/35 axles and 33s. But now with these new axles I want to go 36-37" but the Irok bias 36 true size is 36.8" tall weighs 65 pounds. The irok radial is a true 36" but is $60 more per tire. Or do I stay safe and run 35" km2 ?? Oh and I run 16" wheels so tires are more $ as well....

Now I live in Florida and don't see rock ever but I do wheel sand and Alot of hills and off camber places. I like to use the gas but Know when to take it easy. Soon I want to trailer to GA to play in the rocks. But that will be like once a year..

Thanks for the advice As Im torn and not sure what to do!

check the axle and gearing sticky at top of the modified tech forum

Thanks, but Ive read all that but need advice from other users who have a hp44 and 36-37s and have experience firsthand with 36s or 37s and wheel in my area of the country. Also there is alot of different people who say no way 36 is to big and other users who have and run 40s. So 88xj do you have these axles?

Please respond if you have first hand experience..

well i DON'T have your axle coice but i do have an opinion. i live on the other end of the country. i have a few freinds (with f250s) running a hp44 front with approx 500 hp who go mudding weekly running 40s. ive seen them snap stock axles quite a few times most of them have switch to chromos and lightened there feet a little and dont have problems any more.

you might want to check jeepin.com theres a few build threads over there talking exactly about your tire choice on jeeps.

If your not gonna run alloy's in the front D44 then it's arguably weaker than the D30; same u-joints but only 19 spline outers.

Either way, since you said you mentioned sand and off camber hills I would stick with 35's and keep it low. Especially since you want wheel speed in the sand, with 4.56 gears and a 4.0L 35's will do better

Back