• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ID the TCase

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a buddy with an 84 XJ with the 2.8L V6. The Shifter for the 4wd has High and Low then on the center console it has a switch for 2wd/4wd. The Shifter feels like the linkage is not hooked up but even on top of that the 4wd does not engage.

What Trasfer Case is this?

What should we be looking at for this to get it to at least engage?

Would a better TCase bolt up to this jeep and what would that TCase be?

NP207 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.61:1 ratio low range - used 84-87

NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used 87-01

NP228/NP229 - "Selec-Trac" - 4Hi(full-time) - N - 4Lo (part-time) - used 84-87

NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01

Let me re-ask my questions now

I have a buddy with an 84 XJ with the 2.8L V6. It has a NP207 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.61:1 ratio low range - used 84-87
The Shifter feels like the linkage is not hooked and the 4wd does not engage.

What should we be looking at for this to get it to at least engage?

Would a better TCase bolt up to this jeep and what would that TCase be?

Whenever I have been in a vehicle, and it would feel as if the shift linkage wasn't connected, I would crawl under the vehicle and visually inspect the linkage. That is your starting point.

The NP207 is a part-time box, and Jeep used the D30 CAD vacuum engagement axle up to 91 on the XJ, so I am going to a**ume that is the axle you have. As the NP207 parts diagram for 86 includes a vacuum switch, it is a pretty safe assumption.

Now, I have ZERO hands-on of an 86's t/case linkage, and I don't know what the switch on the dash is for--its function in the system, I actually understand the markings.

So--is there a t/case shift lever in the cabin? And it doesn't feel connected? Start there.

You need to have a good functioning vacuum system with a reservoir for the D30 CAD axle to work. The reservoir may be located behind the front bumper, passenger's side. The hard vacuum line tends to be broken around the battery, so inspect there. I like to relocate the reservoir up into the engine compartment, that eliminates about 5 feet of problematic vacuum line and protects the reservoir.

So, go take a look and post back what you find.

There is a test procedure for the vacuum motor mounted on the D30 CAD axle, and I can link that for you if you need it.

This was quite helpful and thank you all for not making me feel like a Jack Ass for asking a question....LOL.....There is a TCase shifter in the cabin that is not hooked up BUT all it does is goes high to low there is a switch in the console that goes from 2wd-4wd. I will look at the linkage tomorrow and check all the vacume lines out.
Whenever I have been in a vehicle, and it would feel as if the shift linkage wasn't connected, I would crawl under the vehicle and visually inspect the linkage. That is your starting point.

The NP207 is a part-time box, and Jeep used the D30 CAD vacuum engagement axle up to 91 on the XJ, so I am going to a**ume that is the axle you have. As the NP207 parts diagram for 86 includes a vacuum switch, it is a pretty safe assumption.

Now, I have ZERO hands-on of an 86's t/case linkage, and I don't know what the switch on the dash is for--its function in the system, I actually understand the markings.

So--is there a t/case shift lever in the cabin? And it doesn't feel connected? Start there.

You need to have a good functioning vacuum system with a reservoir for the D30 CAD axle to work. The reservoir may be located behind the front bumper, passenger's side. The hard vacuum line tends to be broken around the battery, so inspect there. I like to relocate the reservoir up into the engine compartment, that eliminates about 5 feet of problematic vacuum line and protects the reservoir.

So, go take a look and post back what you find.

There is a test procedure for the vacuum motor mounted on the D30 CAD axle, and I can link that for you if you need it.

If you find the problem seems related to the vacuum motor on the D30 CAD PM me or post back and I will dig up the link for the testing procedure.

Back