• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 2" Lift

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Planning on getting a 2" lift at the end of the month. Looking around it seems like Rubicon Express is the best for the money; blocks instead of AAL and new shocks. Trying to balance price/quality (OME is not an option). This Jeep probably won't go higher than this and 31s. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks.

I'd look at Rough Country you get coil spacers and longer shackles and new shocks for $249. blocks in the back can get sketchy. But for $255 you can get a 3". also check ebay.

Definately go 3" if your wanting to run 31's. And don't get blocks.

IMO, RE kits are a bit overpriced. Some of their stuff is great (like their control arms), but I wouldn't buy a whole kit.

If you are short on cash, build a bastard pack for the back leaves. Use dodge dakota springs, or chevy s10. Or even another cherokee set. Mix and match them until you get the height and ride you are looking for. For shocks, I would go with some Rough Country shocks. Then hocky puck the front (coil spring spacer).

If you are really keen on buying a complete kit, there is a guy on here that works for Rough Country. I believe his name is Jason. He can get you a great deal on a great kit.

AND DON'T USE LIFT BLOCKS! I know im yelling. It needed to be said. Again.

Ok ok no blocks, but I read AAL aren't great either. I would prefer to buy a kit out of simplicity, but maybe I'll look into buying individual pieces. What are the advantages of a boomerang shackle? Who sells them?

Ive been looking at kits for my Xj recently as well
i have a stock 96 with badly sagging rear leafs
the original plan was a 2" budget boost with spacers and Add A leafs.
I live in south FL and its all flat here :(
I also needed new shocks but for the $$$265
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-3][/SIZE][/FONT] it seems the 3" rustys add a leaf kit is even better than a budget boost with advance auto cheapie shocks and its $5 cheaper than the rustys 2" kit lol

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...uct_Code=RK-300AL-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

KIT INCLUDES:
• Front 3" coil springs
• Rear 3" full length add-a-leaf
• Front hydro preformance shocks
• Rear hydro prformance shocks
• Rear brake line extension kit
• Grade 8 U-Bolts

they also have a 3" leaf pack kit for $438 if you would rather have new rear leafs

Last edited:
IMO 2" lift are basically the same. New spring Front/Rear are always best.. The is no real drawbacks to front spacers. In the rear DO NOT use block with stock springs, they will break eventually. AAL or Shackle is the next best thing, both will sag over time. AAL will ride stiffer than shackle, shackle will give more flex. At 2" new shocks are recommended but not required. Not other parts need to be change till you go to 3" or more.

I just did 2" lift on mine. $30 spacers in the front, free S10 main leafs in the back. Monroe sensatrac for V8 ZJ in front, rears for an MJ. New U bolts and spring pins
$ 210 and rides great

ZJ coils up front with an extra isolator or two, HD rear leafs and a 1-1.5" shackle for the rear would get you 2" or so and decent ride and performance.

To the OP:

An AAL (Add-A-Leaf) is just that: it adds 1 extra leaf to attain lift. This is not that great of an idea. That one leaf alone will be responsible for all of the extra lift in the leaf pack. It will eventually sag under the weight of your Jeep with frequent use. Don't get me wrong- they have a purpose. They just don't serve as a long-term fix.

You can build a bastard pack or buy completely new sets of leaf packs. A bastard pack shouldn't cost you more than $50 or so to do it right, providing you have the tools.

A new leaf pack is a bit more. +$150-400 or even more depending on what kind they are.

Like I said (and I'm not trying to be biased, I just like good deals), if you are interested in getting full leaf packs for the rear, give Jason a PM on here. His screen name is GRIMUS99XJ.

For the front, coil spring spacers are coil spring spacers. As long as they aren't made of cardboard or some crap, you will be golden.

On shocks, you can get as cheap as you want. Just remember, usually the cheapest ones don't ride the best. I opted for $20 Monroes...cheap, but the ride quality is harsh. Bilsteins are great, as well as OME's. I even remember seeing some people using JK shocks (from the new wrangler) that people had gotten rid of.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Any questions?

How about letting us know your budget? For the rear, you really should go with a Bastard pack or a good set of full leafs. The OME rear 2" leaf packs are only 110$/ea
As for shocks.. also depends on how much you want/willing to spend.

Budget isn't set in stone, but trying to lean towards the cheap side. I think I'll go with a shackle in the back so if I do decide to go bigger down the road I can then get a new leaf pack. Front I'm still undecided, I'll have to think about it. I should probably plan on an SYE since its a 2000 shouldn't I?

Just put on the OME 2" leaf spring's in back and puck's up front. Right around $300 with shipping. Awe some!!! Actually got around 3" but they will settle. Put out the cash and get full pack's. my .02 Have fun. and remmember P.B.BLASTER

X2
Thats what I did for some saggy rears on top of the spacer/shackles I already had on.
That, trimmed fenders, 31's and bumpstops works good.

(for now)
Fendertrim005.jpg

Budget isn't set in stone, but trying to lean towards the cheap side.

Don't do that. it will just get more expensive. I bought my Current XJ with a BB on it so going up to 3 won't be so bad since I have most of the parts for it.

Back