• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily Driver XJ, and a front locker(lock-right)

XJ jay

NAXJA Forum User
first off i KNOW you can not run a full locker or spool in a non disco front diff, and i understand why (im a journeymen auto tech). and i know your not saposta run a ratchet style locker in the front in a daily driver as well. but i ask who has actually run a ratchet style locker in the front. what was the long term out come (worn splines on the axle/locker). the detriot true-trac isnt quite what im looking for(cost and performance wise) ive read a few guys on here have run a lock-right in the front in there daily, but didnt mention of any lock term side affects. i never use my 4x4 on dry pavement, only icy,snowy,slushy roads or when i wheel. i have stock gears(3.54) and dont plan on going bigger then my 31s or re gearing.

No experience but I would think having any non-selectable locker in the front while driving on ice would be a bad thing. One of the two front tires would loose traction. In that type of condition you wouldn't want to loose any traction. Some sort of e-locker would probably be the easiest solution, no air lines or compressor (~$120 just for an ARB compressor) required.

I run a powertrax in the rear and a detroit in the front on my 98, 4.56 gears on 33s. Here in the midwest we get plenty of icy roads. I have not had any real problems. been in for a couple of years now with syn fluid. I only drive about 5 K a year though. it does require more driver input. To be honest with you the rear locked gets me through the snow without 4 by most of the time.
Offroad it climbs like a goat.

Longevity of a lunchbox in the front? They see way less abuse than one in the rear so you could ask anyone who has ran one, not just in the front axle.
I am on my third only due to selling vehicles. I had a lock-right and noslip in the past. Both worked consistently for years, the no-slip survived in a V8 1/2 ton in the rear with no issue. Currently running an aussie. No issues at all. Nothing to worry about. You will likely get many years out of one and even if you had to replace one at some point for how cheap they are you got your money's worth.

yeah i guess i shoulda mention that i do have a factory LSD in the rear. when i do get the front locker im gonna throw a set of clutchs and steels in the rear LSD to bring it back up to par. thanks for the help guys

I have an Aussie locker in front and a LSD in rear and for me it's a great balance for DD and offroad. The front locker is nearly transparent when in 2WD except for some clicking in turns or a little popping with parking lot maneuvers . Also rear LSD is predictable on the road. For me, a rear locker working all the time on the road would probably bother me too much.

For what I want in a DD/capable trail rig woud be I feel a full case detrot in front and a truetrack clutchless LSD in back would be ideal after dual ARB's.

$800 + hub conversion so you can run a spool ? I am sure if the OP is looking at Lock Rights, his budget is less than that.

A front locker does not function in 2wd, thus no wear in 2wd.

Lockers and ice, lockers and ice, worrying so much can't be very nice!

First rule of driving on icy roads--keep a light foot on the throttle and treat the brake pedal like it is the actuator on a bouncing-betty land mine.

Use your brain and driving with an auto locker on icy roads is no problem. The only thing you have to remember on ANY vehicle with an auto locker--NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE let anybody else drive it--lacking skills and knowledge they will get hurt, hurt someone else, or prang your ride.

Lockers and ice, lockers and ice, worrying so much can't be very nice!

First rule of driving on icy roads--keep a light foot on the throttle and treat the brake pedal like it is the actuator on a bouncing-betty land mine.

Use your brain and driving with an auto locker on icy roads is no problem. The only thing you have to remember on ANY vehicle with an auto locker--NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE let anybody else drive it--lacking skills and knowledge they will get hurt, hurt someone else, or prang your ride.

Well said Joe. I will be running an Aussie in the front of my DD. Generally I don't use 4wd on the road unless its literally sheet ice. That is just to keep it straight there is no other reason. Use common sense and you'll be just fine.

Just lock it. Ive ran an aussie in a non disco front for many years. Now i run a full case detroit in a mog9 up front. I honestly cant tell the difference between having the front open and having a locker as far as DD duty goes. As far as snow and ice goes dont drive like a jackass and you wont have issues.

yeah im no stranger to driving on icy, snowy roads, so fear not, i drove a fiero for 1 winter so i know how to drive with caution. the odd time my wife may takes my jeep if the roads are really bad, but it looks like shes gonna get a 2010 JK unlimited, so she wont need to steal my rig when the weather turns south. thanks to all who replied, looks like im gonna get a Aussie up front, and rebuild the rear LSD!

yeah im no stranger to driving on icy, snowy roads, so fear not, i drove a fiero for 1 winter so i know how to drive with caution. the odd time my wife may takes my jeep if the roads are really bad, but it looks like shes gonna get a 2010 JK unlimited, so she wont need to steal my rig when the weather turns south. thanks to all who replied, looks like im gonna get a Aussie up front, and rebuild the rear LSD!

Good plan. I am going the same route. Its gonna be an 8.8 in the rear though!

I've had a Detroit in the front of my DD for 8 years now with no ill side effects. I can't even tell it's there around town, neither can my wife who drives a minivan all day. Not bad enough on ice to worry about. If you do high-speed desert running I don't think you'd want it in there though. I've tried that and the steering gets touchy the faster you go.

Back