• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5 question

JeepersdoitDeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 4.5 Super Flex sitting in the garage waiting to install. I've yet to buy tires because I'm useless at making decision, lol. I'm also installing a JCR Winch bumper and winch on the front and a JCR Stage 3 with carrier on the back. Going to put a 3/4 spacer on the front springs to try to compensate for the bumper weight.

Question is, having not seen one up close and personal, will I be able to do a 285/75/16 or should I just go with the 265/75/16.

I'll be using Rubicon Moab 16x9 wheels.

Keep in mind I don't do a lot of heavy wheeling, but occasional off-roading and fishing/hunting in the sticks.

Well i have almost the same setup as you so here is my rig when i first got it.

IMG_0148-1.jpg

The only thing that's different is that you are going to have a Winch in the front. I first started off with the MOAB's and 245's and they were tiny, but i didn't mind because i still had 3.55. I soon after moved up to a 33x12.5 BFG mud and they looked perfect for the 4.5 RE but on my first wheeling trip with them i ripped all but one fender flare off.... so i had to do some thinking and trimmed the fenders, they rubbed slightly at full stuff in the back... so i sold them and went down a size to 32x11.5 BFG AT's and they are great i really wish i went with 33's again but i got a good deal on them.

285's might be a little to big and will rub alot unless you do a serious amount of trimming or bumpstops... Im also guessing that your still on stock gearing 3.55 and if so the 285's are going to be pretty boggy and kill your MPG... thats what forced me to go to 4.56's

I would strongly suggest going with 265 and when your done with those then start going up in sizes... because the bigger the tire on stock stuff... the more trail repairs your going to be doing.

Here is what mine sits at now... RE 4.5 with Rough country Long arms, JCR front, JCR stage 3 rear tire carrier, and 32's

IMG_0159.jpg

What he didn't tell you ... was that he refuses to trim. Not even that first lip (which will be covered by the flares anyways).

MD11 probably has the best suggestion at this point .... buy some cheap 265s to get your feet wet and then step up a little bit. Heck, you might even be able to find a good used set somewhere.

Joe

Joe, Joe, Joe....Don't you have a package to be crapping in?

You're right, I don't want to trim right now, not just a little. Seeing as I'm not going to regear right this moment, I'll just go with the 265's. RE calls for a 32.5/11.50 so I wont be much under that. Should look good.

Wheres my stickers Joe?

if your intalling a winch bumper id suggest a bigger coil spacer than 3/4". ive had my RE 4.5" SF kit for two abusive years now and the jeep still has a noticable rake. i dont think 3/4" would level it out either. i do a lot of towing so im confident the springs are broken in. id go ACOS and be done with it.

as for tires... ive ripped a rear flare off with 31s, 31s stuff all the way up into the fenders and still rub. no matter what tire size you go with id suggest trimming. if you dont want to, be sure to bump stop accordingly. idealy though, go with both and you could easily fit 33s.

Back