• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Crack

zirzow

NAXJA Forum User
Well as the title says i have a crack in my frame right where the steering box is. This is the third time it has cracked within this year. This time it cracked on the inside of the frame between the steering box and frame. Is there any way that i can fix this? The crack is on an 88 jeep comanche with a 4.5" lift and 33x10.5 tires. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

yes you need to weld the crack and plate the frame. I would make a spacer out of steel that evenly disperses the pressure over that area of the frame, instead of that cheap ass aluminum thing.

Thats kind of what i thought. I had a shop weld the 2 first cracks and they have since failed within half a year. This is a very common weak part of these jeeps right? So welding a plate over the crack is the best way to go?

there are kits out there to stregthen the frame in that area. stop drill the crack to prevent further cracking then weld it, and look for a kit or make one yourself. I think I saw one on pirate but can't remember. check the FAQ section.

azdesertrhino said:
I just installed a C Rok steering box brace on my 94 XJ. Seems like a solid piece of hardware.

http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html

I've got the C-ROK frame brace both on both sides and love them. For 4 years they have kept my 33's from tweaking the frame and the 10,500lb winch firmly attached. I agree C-ROK is a cool easy to bolt on solution.
IM000014.JPG
IM000017.JPG

Unfortunately zirzow has already cracked the frame and this may not be the best fix. Welding it up with a plate IMHO is best.

In the past I have had to cut into the inside rear box unibody channel where the front leaf spring bolt comes though and the front crossmember has had small cracks and have had some sucess with a combination of carefully MIG-welding the thin sheet metal and re-enforceing/useing something called SEMA 39537= weld bond adhesive "metal to metal" @$25.00 dollars from O'Reilly's autoparts or from other online sources for $30.00 for the adhesive + $75.00 for the application gun-HTH

Back