• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 pin water proof electical connector

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a two pin water tight connector to use for my roof lights so I can just unclip the power/ground for the lights when the rack comes off or goes on. I'm using 4 hella 500s with 55w bulbs, but I think i'd be safe with any connector that will handle 30 amps or better.

Amphenols (metal shell) or CPC (Circular Plastic Connector - plastic shell) will be what you want. Amphenols are spendy, but you very much get what you pay for there! CPCs are a sort of "economy" version of the Amphenol.

It's no trouble to get a bulkhead-style version of either with a gasket (to seal the bulkhead) and a cap (in case you remove the lighting) and a mating connector. Typically can be had in 2-10 large-gage circuits, or 2-50 mixed or small-gage circuits.

Time to practise your Google-Fu. I haven't had enough requests to start carrying thme just yet, but I'm keeping track...

I'm looking for a two pin water tight connector to use for my roof lights so I can just unclip the power/ground for the lights when the rack comes off or goes on. I'm using 4 hella 500s with 55w bulbs, but I think i'd be safe with any connector that will handle 30 amps or better.

I have been using 2-pin polarized trailer plugs for years on all of my 12-volt stuff. The problem is they are usually only available in small wire sizes ranging from 14-18 gauge. For 30-amps, you need 10-gauge wire.

I found 10-gauge plugs sold by Vanco (PN NVBL1H), available in some CB shops, online or at FRY's electronic stores.
I use the 10-gauge plugs on all high amperage devices, paying around $3 for a set of plugs.

http://www.cbradiosplus.com/shop/pc/viewprd.asp?idcategory=86&idproduct=849

Butter the plug's contacts with dielectric grease to waterproof the connection.

I use the AMP Mate-N-Lok stuff for this kind of stuff since they have silicon seals that make the connectors waterproof. They have a bunch of different pin counts and are capable of holding pretty heavy gauge.

Here's a pic showing how the seals go in

matenlok.jpg

Napa # 755-1534 $3.69
224403.jpg

or

Napa # 755 1535 $4.29
224404.jpg

both will accept up to a 10g wire and are weatherproof and UL rated for industrial use.

Back