• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long does an engine swap take?

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
I have an engine, transmission and transfer case combo that I am planning on swapping into my heep. I wont be separating any peice of that setup other than swapping my intake and exhaust manifolds onto the donor motor. If I am pulling the full assembly and replacing with the full assembly, how long would it take me? I do need to swap the transfer case output shaft that has my hack n tap on it and thought about replacing the trans filter while ive got it out so I dont have to fight the oil pan later. I dont know if thats necessary since its only got 80k on it, but would be far easier out than in.

I am thinking about attacking this first thing in the morning and would need to be done by tomorrow night. Doable?

It depends on your experience and environment. On a lift, full complement of air tools? Absolutely. Crescent wrench and a gravel driveway? Not happening.

I've had a whole powertrain out in 45 minutes but that's with the lift and air tools option. :)

Doable, yes. But to qualify that, it really depends on your experience level and the equipment you have available. Personally, I would like at least two days for that job - leaving time to deal with any gremlins that pop up. And believe be, something always pops up.

Forgot to mention. Absolutely take the few minutes and remove the whole front clip, radiator and condensor. It might take getting creative with the a/c lines to move the condensor without having to evac and recharge, but it opens up a HUGE amount of room.. and makes it easy to swing the whole 3 piece assembly out as a unit.

yeah that front clip stuff would all be coming out for sure. I have a lift and air tools and a pretty deep selection of hand tools and will be doing the job in my garage. I dont have the tool to pull the quick disconnect from the fuel rail though but I will be renting that from o'reilys. Ive replaced engines in the past but never on a jeep. Mostly small block chevy stuff. If im a jeep engine swap virgin with lots of wrenching experience, plenty of tools and the replacement engine already pulled, with a 7am to 11:59 pm working window, would you recommend tackling it tomorrow?

Last edited:
I'm not sure the T-case will come out attached without giving you fits, I would drop that then bring the engine/tranny out the front. My usual time for a swap if everything goes right is 4 hours out and 6 hours back in. I've done enough now that my hands automatically reach for the right wrench.

Well im going for it. I got the fuel line tool and the parts I need and should be ready to go. So the transfer case could give me fits pulling the whole assembly out? If thats the concensus I will definitely pull that off. It seems like an easy enough install under the rig.

1. Take pictures.

2. Label vacuum lines and wiring.

3. Yes, not having the t/case attached will make things easier.

I did it in a day on a rough concrete driveway by myself....

Take a piece of cardboard and lable what bolts came from where.....draw a picture of where they came from (no so much for this, but for timing chain cover bolts it is handy) and just stick them through....that way you dont have to dig through a pile

Also, your starter can snag on an engine mount going in with the three piece combo....I know this, and I lost that small terminal on it.

I did it 3 out 3 in, and was able to finish in a day with air nothing. I used hand tools. I definitely recommend doing EVERYTHING to the new setup BEFORE it goes in; thats kinda a given, but I thought I'd mention it.

Dont get 5 & 6 injector plugs mixed up.

Let us know how it goes.

did this on a 93 sport last month, Pulled the motor, tore it down to a short block, Refreshed it with new gaskets/seals etc.. started friday, Fired it back up sunday evening.

X3 on pulling the front clip/rad...you'll thank yourself for taking the extra 30 minutes to do that.

If you pull the whole monty at once, it WILL be very heavy in the rear....I did my MJ swap this way. Three sets of hands will help tremendously, one on the hoist, one in the engine bay to help guide things along (re: starter and oil filter past the passenger side motor mount bracket), and another guy underneath to help steer the back end of the assembly up and out from underneath.

If you do decide to pull the TC before removal, you'll have to deal with sealing up the trans output so you don't end up dumping fluid out of the back of the tranny.

Picture024.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
I am thinking about attacking this first thing in the morning and would need to be done by tomorrow night. Doable?

The fact that you use the words "need to be done by tomorrow night" makes it sound like you need to continue to use the vehicle soon.

Murphy's Law is arrive and well! I ALWAYS allow extra time for major jobs as potential is high for issues, need for parts, etc. that may drag this out a bit.

If this is your daily driver, have a plan B ready (backup vehicle) in case this one isn't ready to go.

Good luck!

He said he had a hack and tap, so no tcase leakage.

Whelp, got it done at about 9 pm. I pulled it with the tranfer case attached and had zero issues. It just took two people to kinda weave it in past the motor mount location and all of the other stuff thats chillin. I think we could have gone a little quicker but we were just kinda takin our time and stoped for food a few times and such. I ended up with fluids of every kind all over the garage. It was a mess! Glad to have it done though.

So the 212k rig now has an 80k drivetrain. I get to do it all over again before too long though since the motor I pulled is going to be built into the stroker. Thats what Im really looking forward to ;)

THanks for the advice and encouragement guys!

Nicely done. It took me the better part of a week swapping the engine transmission and transfer case in my apartment parking lot in the snow. A lot of it had to do with lack of motivation because it was so damn cold when i decided to do it 2 weeks ago. Tho i had to wait for parts and swap a lot of other stuff too.

Back