• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluids... Quick!

96XJ_4.0

NAXJA Forum User
LoL
I'm at an EZ lube my buddy runs. He going to hook me up with fluid flushes.

What oil for a 96 4.0 w/120k?

Tranny fluid?

Transfer case oil?

Diff oil?

Thanks!

Ps I can hook it up now on fluids. My buddy runs this shop now.

he runs that shop, but doesnt know what fluids go into a jeep cherokee? scary. you should post the address, so anyone out in the IE knows to stay away. =)

to be helpfull, trans(aw4) is dexII/atf3 transfercase is also dexII/aft3 diff oil, gear oil, GL-5, thickness is a prefferance, as is motor oil

you can't be anal if you don't know what you want. :D

to be helpfull, trans(aw4) is dexII/atf3 transfercase is also dexII/aft3 diff oil, gear oil, GL-5, thickness is a prefferance, as is motor oil

CORRECTIONS:

AW4 takes Dex II/IIE/III/VI and not ATF +3/+4. Friction modifiers are wrong in +3/+4, and use can (and usually does) lead to clutch chatter and slip.

The tcase (NP231/NP242) can take Dex or +3/+4 - no clutches. The ATF is used as a simple lubricant, and is circulated by a small gearotor pump.

Manual transmissions: The BA-10/5 (1987-1988.0) takes GL-5 just fine, but the AX-15 (1988.5-1999) takes GL-3 (bronze synchronisers. GL-5 may be used if it specifically sez it is "Safe for use with yellow metals." The NV3550 (2000-2001 may take its own fluid.)

Axles: GL-5, 80W-90 for standard service and 75W140 (rear) for towing/heavy duty. Add 2oz of friction modifier if you have a clutch-based limited slip.

Engine: Do not use API SM "Energy Saving" engine oil! Use of SM can lead to camshaft failure in flat tappet engines like ours. The API rating will be in a rondel on the back lable, but if you see the "Energy Saving" sunburst on the front label, drop the bottle and find oil that doesn't have it. If you can't, stop by the GM dealership and stock up on EOS - add one bottle at every oil change.

Capacities and recommendations (per FSM/TSM) are listed on my site in the Tech Archives - check them out!

So is castrol high mileage 10w30 API SM? LoL

If it is I'll have him change it again.

And is a vacuum flush for coolant better then gravity? ( I tend to think so)

Gravity is weak.

Technically gravity always loses.

So is castrol GTX bad?

I used to run 20w50 in my M3....should I run thicker standard oil and change it more often?

You still end up on the ground, gravity wins. Moving forward has nothing to do with gravity ;)

Gravity is the weakest of the four forces. This weakness is easily demonstrable - on a dry day, rub a comb across your shirt to give it static electricity, then hold it over a piece of paper on a desk. If you were successful, the piece of paper lifts off the desk. It takes an entire planet to keep the paper on the desk, but this force is easily overcome with everyday materials using the electromagnetic force.

"gravity is the weakest force of the universe"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction?wasRedirected=true

Its on average about 20-25 magnitudes less then the weak forces we encounter.

:D neener neener neener
LoL I just took my Physics 212 Midterm last week. These were questions on my test. ;)

You are anal about making sure you go with some one else's opinions instead of his...? :dunno:

:D
Yea, because as you see- he put the wrong oil in.

It's cool now. Thanks 5-90 and xcm :)

No one said anything about how strong gravity was, only that it always wins. In the end you (or your piece of paper in the example above) still return to rest at the mercy of gravity.

On another note, I sincerely hope you are not quoting wikipedia in your Physics class assignments. :doh:

Where did I quote wiki? I linked it for you.

But that's just it, gravity does not always win...
It's ok man. We are way OT.

Autozone stopped carrying green coolants?

Even prestone at napa is all orange...WTF?

NAPA still carries green coolant, at least my store does, I've got several hundred gallons of it in stock. We don't stock a Prestone brand green coolant, but we have Zerex and the NAPA house brand both in stock.

Back