• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!! heat / blower motor problems

NewJersey-xj

NAXJA Forum User
bought the jeep with some problems. the blower motor wont kick on. tried to switch the big fuse in the engine bay box nothing. where should i star looking for other fuses or should i try by replacing the blower motor

bought the jeep with some problems. the blower motor wont kick on. tried to switch the big fuse in the engine bay box nothing. where should i star looking for other fuses or should i try by replacing the blower motor
First determine that your are getting power to the blower motor with a volt meter at the plug on the firewall where it connects.... if you have power to the plug then try jumping the blower motor from the battery. If the motor doesn't run from jumping it's more than likely bad. It is also possible that some varmit has made a nest in the fan cage restricting the motor.

Before you pull the blower motor, you can run a power and ground from the battery directly to the pigtail coming off it to be sure it's functional. If it is, I'd check the switch next. Could be as simple as a burnt out dash switch.

Edit: B.Raider beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
Two 40 amp fuses, #6 and #11 in the PDC (fuse box under the hood) feed the blower motor through a relay, which is activated by fuse #25 (15 amp) in the fuse box inside the cabin. Check these three fuses first. The blower motor relay is also in the PDC.

I would check the fuses first, then check for current at the blower motor plug. If still no go, I would check the relay. I think you can swap it with the identical relays nearby to see if that is the issue.

The fact that it doesn't even work on high rules out the resistor.

Two 40 amp fuses, #6 and #11 in the PDC (fuse box under the hood) feed the blower motor through a relay, which is activated by fuse #25 (15 amp) in the fuse box inside the cabin. Check these three fuses first. The blower motor relay is also in the PDC.

I would check the fuses first, then check for current at the blower motor plug. If still no go, I would check the relay. I think you can swap it with the identical relays nearby to see if that is the issue.

The fact that it doesn't even work on high rules out the resistor.

thank you very much. its dark out and i have no garage so i will check it in the morning. ill keep my fingers crossed though

Under the hood. The plug is right on the blower motor, mounted on the firewall. You don't have a test light or multimeter? It would be easier than running wires. Like 3.99 or special 1.99 at Harbor Freight.

Pull the plug on the blower motor and put the light between the two parts of the plug that are coming from the body. One is power, the other is ground. Fan switch on high, key in run position. If it lights, you need a new motor. No light, the problem is in the circuit.

Back