• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

here's a new one....

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone ever swapped a 5 spd for an automatic? we have a four cylinder xj with a 5 spd, and the woman cant drive stick shift. so i was wondering if at all possible, how hard would it be to find and swap in an auto for it? i know it will probably be a 3 spd out of a wrangler, but is it even worth doing? the little thing runs so well, and gets excelent mpg, just the trans issue is the main problem. thanks

p.s. it's a 95 2 dr. 4x4

Last edited:
im actually doing the same swap (mine is a '92 2 door 4.0L) the best way is to find a cheap parts jeep, pull all the needed parts and then sell the body and other left over parts as scrap.

something like this would be a good parts jeep...
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1630246515.html

I taught my cousin to drive stick in like 4 hours, really not that hard.

well if her mind is blocked get a big hammer and chisel...lol

find out what she is afraid of and why she dosent want to learn.

if she wants to drive it then she should learn to shift. you never know once she goes stick she might not go auto again ...lol

well, you guys dont understand my woman, she has like a mind block, and seemingly doesnt want to learn.....

I know the feeling... My girl wont even try to drive mine, but she claims she could if she needed to! One day I let her go start it to warm it up........ yeah..... ill stop there :shhh:

if she wants to drive it then she should learn to shift. you never know once she goes stick she might not go auto again ...lol

True. If she likes the vehicle, she should learn. My girl doesn't like my XJ all that much, so there isn't much drive for her to learn in my case. At least you got that much going for ya. Wait for a good day, and try to teach her. I learned on a gravel road, figured that would help save the killing to the dive line components?? Good luck man!

Either do an engine/trans swap. Or get a different vehicle. The 2.5L sucks ass with an auto.

Either do an engine/trans swap. Or get a different vehicle. The 2.5L sucks ass with an auto.

Especially with the higher ratio axles under a 5 speed.

Your profile says that you are only 22, if your women is about the same age then she will need this skill again someday. Do yourself a favor and quit facilitating a way to avoid her fear by driving your rig. You need to be a man and put your foot down, you'll feel better and she will respect you for it in the future, although you might be cut off for a couple of days:laugh3:.

i personally dont like a 2 dr. xj, i prefer the four door for wheeling purposes, the whole chassis feels stiffer and more tortionally strong than the 2 door. well, i'll try the being firm, but i doubt she'll go for it. plus, wheeling an automatic is so much nicer than a stick, imo....

all the women i have known could drive stick fine, but i do know the type. my dad has been trying to get my mom to drive stick for over 25 years and it is still a no go......some people are just scared of it for whatever bizarre reason.

if you cant get her to learn then i go with the others who said sell it and get a 4.0 auto.

Get a mountain bike, put it in/on the XJ. Take your GF way and the hell out in back country. Stop. Unload the mountain bike. Hand GF the keys to the XJ and say "Follow me."

Get on the mountain bike and ride like HELL for civilization.

When things are a necessity, people will tend to take the necessary action.

well, i'll try the being firm, but i doubt she'll go for it.

That's NOT the spirit :nono:. With that attitude you've already lost. Grow a pair, turn on the alpha, and tell her how it's gonna be! :scottm:

Do it right and you'll also get more head. :smoker:

That's NOT the spirit :nono:. With that attitude you've already lost. Grow a pair, turn on the alpha, and tell her how it's gonna be! :scottm:

Do it right and you'll also get more head. :smoker:

If I heard that when I was 22, I would have thought you were some Ahole that didn't know what he was talking about. Now that I am a little older (hopefully a little wiser) I see those words and think, man if I had only had that additude when I was younger I would have gotten laid waaay more. My relationships would have been happier too. Live and learn.

Back