• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need transmission advice for diesel swap...

ventureforth

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of swapping a 1.9TD into my 1986 Jeep Cherokee. I'm using the Acme kit with the Toyota transmission option, so my VW TD is basically a Toyota now (flywheel, bellhousing adapter, etc.). Originally, I was just going to swap the input shaft from a G52 into my AX5 (because they're basically the same transmission other than the pilot tip and shaft). My AX5 is not in great shape, though, so I was thinking about just swapping out the whole transmission for a G52. Will this work? Will the G52 mate up to my NP transfer case? Should I use a G52 and Toyota transfer case combo? How about the W-series? Would a W58 be an easy swap? Does it use the same input shaft as the G52? I know there are differences between the pilot tips on the different Toyota shafts, and I know the G52 has the right tip for my adapter setup, so I guess I'm asking if the G52 would be a direct swap for my AX5 without modifications, and if any of the W series trannys would be a direct swap, as well, and would share the same pilot tip diameter as a G52? Or is there another option consider, remember that I've already gone down the Acme/Toyota road? I tried posting on some Toyota forums, but haven't had much luck with responses, so I thought I'd post here.

Thanks.

Back