• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Headliner fix idea

mpro1

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this?

Using the old headliner backing (cleaned) you can buy polyester fabric and apply polyester resin aka fiberglas resin to the old headliner backing.The polyester and resin react making a nice durable long lasting (of any color you choose) surface.

I have heard that some custom interior shops have been doing this and it looks real nice.......I have tried other techniques that just didnt last............................ I think i might try it with mine.

Any Thoughts?????

seems like it would work. Or just take off the tired old headliner material. Wire brush off the old glue or foam residue. Then you have the fiberous cardboard backing board. Just simply put the fiberglass resin on the backing board, let dry, and wet sand it. Then paint it. I am not sure how easy it would be to fiberglass the cloth in the way you mentioned. I have never seen that but would like pics of it if you do it ! I have thought of doing it as i described and then putting a single piece of rubberized sound insulation about 1/8" thick from a commerical aircraft and marine insulattion shop i know. Then it will be a nice flat black rubber and never smudge tear rip or anything. Practically bomb proof not matter how much wood, camping gear etc i jam in the ole XJ :cheers:

i redid my headliner a few months ago with ripstop digi camo. the backer is essentially fiberglass. I have heard of people just putting resin on that then using paint or bedliner on it. i think im going to do that when my digital camo liner falls down. im gonna hate that cause i had alot of extra fabric and wound up doing my door panels in the camo as well.

~SM

I did mine this past summer and i used the wrong adhesive and its coming down again..lol...i guess i have to go buy more fabric and another adhesive.

pete

took mine out and rid myself of the crap cloth that kept falling down. Stiffened it up with fiberglass cloth and resin, then painted it, BUT, the paint has started to peal and crack. I'm going to pull it back out and use some herculiner or something on it...................and hopefully never deal with it again!

From what i understand the poly ester fabric lays and "wets" just like fiberglas....the advantage over fiberglas would be color/pattern choice & the fact that theres no painting/maintenance.....i will do a test on sun vizors first

Ill let take some pics & let you guys know???

Mine started coming down in the rear as well, so I just cut the back roof section and tailgate off. Never have to worry about that pesky thing again.

motorcityxj said:
seems like it would work. Or just take off the tired old headliner material. Wire brush off the old glue or foam residue. Then you have the fiberous cardboard backing board. Just simply put the fiberglass resin on the backing board, let dry, and wet sand it. Then paint it. I am not sure how easy it would be to fiberglass the cloth in the way you mentioned. I have never seen that but would like pics of it if you do it ! I have thought of doing it as i described and then putting a single piece of rubberized sound insulation about 1/8" thick from a commerical aircraft and marine insulattion shop i know. Then it will be a nice flat black rubber and never smudge tear rip or anything. Practically bomb proof not matter how much wood, camping gear etc i jam in the ole XJ :cheers:

Resin alone won't really strengthen the backing. The strength comes from the fiberglass, or cloth you put it on. I've seen people use felt/resin for speaker boxes. Should work out nice on a headliner. Don't get it on your skin or any clothes you wish to keep! It DOESN'T come off. I built a speaker box a while back. Got a spot of resin on my hand, it was there for about a month until it wore off.

edit: 200th post!!

Jeep914x4 said:
Resin alone won't really strengthen the backing. The strength comes from the fiberglass, or cloth you put it on. I've seen people use felt/resin for speaker boxes. Should work out nice on a headliner. Don't get it on your skin or any clothes you wish to keep! It DOESN'T come off. I built a speaker box a while back. Got a spot of resin on my hand, it was there for about a month until it wore off.

edit: 200th post!!

well i never tried it yet .... just figured if the backing board was porous at all it would form a stronger harder shiner more appropriate texture to hold paint than the fiberour engineered paper that most backing boards are. Not sure how much if any "strength" a headliner would need. I agree no doubt it would be stronger if one added a layer of fiberglass mat, but i also figured then it would recquire more finish work and sanding if the mat didnt lay right. Seemed easier to just harden up the headliner backing a wee bit and then paint it.

Awaiting pics of painted or this resin colored fabric. Mine XJ is sandalwood aka tan and it could use a new headliner to hid dirt and crap. Already swaped out tan seats for black ones.

Back