• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should i buy this XJ

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opportunity to pick up an '87Pioneer with 4.0 ax-15 @ 240xxx.
Rust isn't that bad, rockers are as good as gone, floorboards are intact. Jeep starts and drives, shifts well, interior is cherry save one tear in the front seat. Seller says that the engine stalls when it warms up, i haven't looked into what this could be. The guy wants 650 for it. I'd love to have thing as a project trail beater, but don't think i can justify 650 for it considering the miles. The seller is the original owner and bought it off the showroom floor in October of '86. He has all service records and says he has regularly maintained. To be honest, when turned it on I noticed that it was probably the quietest 4.0 that I had ever heard... Purring like a tiger. Thoughts? Tax return is on the way, and my garage is aching for another XJ.

Thanks,

ECGTECH

take a good look for rust ifits as good as you state its well worth the 650!

I checked her out last night and things looked pretty good. I'm going back soon during the day to really poke around. It has the factory towing package... being that this is an '87 it may have a d44, we'll see. if that is the case, i'm definitely getting it. If not, then i'm probably still getting it. Need another XJ

ax-15 was not an option in 87, ask owner if it was swapped in.

ive got 243K miles on my 89 and it still runs great, but leaks alot.

ax-15 was not an option in 87, ask owner if it was swapped in.

Agreed. If it is an AX-15, though, that's a big plus. Assuming it has that plus a D44, though, I'd say grab it - especially if it has an NP242 as well, since that means a non-disco HP30 up front.

Np231 is what came with the manual XJ's. Np242 was an option for the AW4 only.
But if it really does have an ax-15 then it could very well have a 242 in it being swapepd and all.

Ok im confused what is the trans case that year and whats the tranny i thought 231 transfer case with the auto i have one of those 87 pioneers with d44 its an auto.

AW4 is either 231 or 242 (this came with non-disco D30), manual came with 231 only.

it's a BA 10. If i'm not mistaken, this was the pugot tranny and i have heard bad things about it. Should it be avoided? i might be swapping in a newer 4.0 with AW4 and NP 231 if the engine needs to much work anyway. just wondering.

I wouldnt worry about the BA 10. My mj has been fine in the 5.5 yrs i have owned it.

Have a 87 Pioneer w/ a BA10, 256K on it. The transmission is noisy in 5th, shifts like a pole stuck in a bowl of jello, but it always seems to do what you ask of it. Should be worth $500 if the floorboards aren't rusted out. Look underneath the carpet or under the jeep to make sure.

245K miles on my 89 with the BA-10. shifts fine and no noise in any gear. the internal slave on either the ba-10 or ax-15 is the ticking bomb if you ask me.

i was givin a ba10 and everything to swap it into my jeep except a clutch master cylinder and a 3 pedal set up...i hate my automatic tranny and have nothin but issues with it...is it worth it for me to swap it out?

NO.

Wait, what year/engine/trans?

Peugeot BA 10/5 is pretty weak, AX15 would be the way to go.

What issues with the auto?

i have an 89 with the aw4/242j combo, never had any problems with it shifting (as long as fluid level is good). mine leaks fluid every where too, like 89xj's lol.

but yea, if he's askin $650 walk in with $500 , if he DON'T take it then he not that interested in selling it. i bought ours for $650 & the dealer was askin $950 for it, and that was just about 3 years ago.
if you are only gonna use it as a beater, it's worth it. even if it does stall when warmed up, that could be anything "stupid" (read; easy to fix).

Hey man if you can write down the vin, type that into vehicle database and you should be able to see what it has underneath to be completely sure, as what was said before make sure nothing was swapped in differently. If an online database isn't working, cost money, etc go to an autozone, pep boys, or even a local mechanic you know and ask them to type the vin in there at least you'll know through and through what the truck has. If it has the tow package and the D44 rear well my friend that right there is worth the trouble of 600 clams. Good Hunting bud.

Back