• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj renix 4.0 motor swap

zap387

NAXJA Forum User
Unfortunately my 1988 xj needs a new motor, I have a Renix motor. I was wondering if any other year Cherokee motor will directly bolt in. I really don't want to change the wiring harness and the computer. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

you can run the HO with a few mods also... mines a 89 with 96 motor... didnt swap the harness like everyone else... my motors actually a HO/Renix hybrid... kept all the renix important stuff like AC and Alt... but 96 PS brackets, intake, header... yatta yatta... it can be done and im one thats done it...

That is good to know about the hybrid motor you did In case I find a new motor. I am just trying to figure out the fastest way to do it and the cheapest.

I did allot of research on this, and you can find threads on how to do this through google, I decided to go with the changing of the wiring harness myself, but one of the articles that I was going to use stated that you needed to replace most of the sensors with your old ones because of the different connectors. and use all your old brackets and accessories. Other then that its a straight forward swap.

Keeping it Renix, using all of your current sensors, intake, exhaust, and throttle body you will only have one possible problem--the knock sensor.

91+ HO blocks have changed a few times when it comes to the knock sensor mounting pointk. Early HO blocks are the same as Renix. Slightly newer they stopped threading the hole, still later they stopped drilling the hole, and I believe eventually the "boss" was eliminated.

Push come to shove, you can just plug the knock sensor into the harness and zip tie it up out of the way, the ECU won't know anything is out of order.

at the same time i went with the 99+ intake... this made me buy some more JY parts t run it... 96 fuel rail, throttle cable, TB, intake system, cable bracket, and fuel lines... the fuel lines on a 2 door sucks but on a 4 door i think they should just swap right on over... mines a 2 door and i just cut the metal lines and used high dollar rubber fuel line and hose clamps...

Back