• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator replacement

moximouse

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i'm replacing the radiator in my 00 jeep cherokee 4.0

What is the significance of the rows?

autozone has a single row for 129, napa has a double row for 136. is there a benefit of one over the other?

Single row = strippy XJ, higher temps if you have an auto trans, a/c, tow. I have a single row in my 90, no a/c, manual trans, and I only tow a small offroad utility trailer.

I wouldn't go less than a 2 row ALL METAL radiator. I am a brass/copper guy, but aluminum is an option.

There is always quite a discussion on 2 row vs. 3 row cores in radiators.

Some believe that the 2 row core is less subject to plugging up over the years--larger tubes, and that the larger tubes provide more air flow over the fewer tubes for better cooling.

Some believe that the 3 row core is better at cooling because it offers more total surface area of the tubes for heat exchange.

I believe that radiators are maintenance items--i.e., they don't last forever. That said, if you properly maintain the cooling system deposit buildup should take a long, long time. I change my coolant annually, 50/50 mix anti-freeze and distilled water. I use a commercial flush every other year at coolant change time.

DPG is a NAXJA sponsor and they have the CSF 3-row core all metal radiators for about $175.

Go with a 2 or 3 row from DPG. You want all metal tanks. Keep in mind that its the total core thickness that really matters, more than just the number of rows.

My 94 had a single row and when that went out I went with a double row, brass ended one. I was on a trip to Mexico when it literally went south on me, water pump and radiator. Luckily I had just crossed the border into Laredo and was still in the city limits. I had to wait till 9AM for the auto parts to open up so that I could get a water pump. Local mechanic there sold me the radiator and did the labor for 100 dollars cash. That was back about 8 years ago and its still running strong.
Go with the double row!
Lil Joe

Back