• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 AX15 into a 1999 XJ??

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
OK So the reverse gear on my tranny is chipped and the clutch is starting to go so I checked craigslist and found a tranny from a 1995 XJ that works great with under 100k miles on it.

Will this swap into my 1999 xj? It current has the AX15 with a 241 t case with stock motor and drivetrain.

This a good buy for $250?

Well chances are it has the NP231, not 241...

And yes, it should work fine. I am ALMOST certain that the 95 AX15 should be external slave cylinder. If I am wrong and it is internal slave cylinder than just swap the bellhousing from your '99 over and make it external. IIRC the only thing that changed between older AX-15s and newer AX-15s is the internal Vs External slave cylinder which led to a change in the bellhousing. Either way the most you have to do is swap out bellhousings.

How long as it been since you had the clutch replaced? In my opinion if it was a good while ago you might as well replace that while the trans is pulled. Then again I prefer to spend the extra $$ now to save myself time later on down the line.. I have found myself in too many situations where I drop replace the trans and then find my clutch was bad 10k miles later. I just don't risk it anymore :)

Ok thanks man! I will be sure to give the guy a call and possibly get my hands on it.

As far as the clutch I considered that... any recommended brands?

Also is someone else reads this and knows that for some crazy reason this thing won't work... let me know asap

Back