• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Onboard air questions (yes I've searched but...)

Goatslayer

NAXJA Forum User
I've done some google and NAXJA searches on the topic and pretty much got the basics down.

Here's the thing...my neighbor is always picking up cars (anywhere from free-$100) and turning them over as scrap metal (he can get up to $300/car). He usually does 2 cars/week so there's plenty of them coming by here.

I can pull pretty much anything off of the scrap cars he brings through (and I keep bugging him to pick up an XJ so I can rape it for parts). So the question is what should I be looking for when ripping out an AC compressor from a car he brings through?

Most of the cars he brings through don't run, so I might have to pull a few different compressors before I get a fully functional one. That's not a big deal. Are there model/manufacturer markings I should be looking for on compressors so I get one that's "beefy" enough to run an OBA system?

Also, are there extra parts I should rip off of a junk car to makek the project run smoother?

What about using the stock compressor from another XJ?

I have 2 '93 XJ's, one as my DD and one for parts... the parts XJ has ac, my DD doesn't. Would that compressor work for OBA decently? I'm not really looking to be powering any tools, just faster tire inflation...

wait a second....wait just a second....do people add an a/c compressor that runs on the xj's belt - and use it to pressureize an air tank to run tools etc...???

that just blew my mind....how the hell is it done?

bacelaw said:
wait a second....wait just a second....do people add an a/c compressor that runs on the xj's belt - and use it to pressureize an air tank to run tools etc...???

the links above should give you a good idea. and it is every bit as awesome as you imagine

works better with an auxilary tank but stil works awesome with just the compressor and a line.

I like the 10-20lb co2 tank in the cargo area idea also - i would only use it for tire pressure fills...and the occasional air ratchet/chisel.

is it safe to drive around daily with a co2 tank back there?

bacelaw said:

It's an awesome thing, isn't it?

Obviously our oversized tires require a lot of air. I had my tires down to 24psi and went to a gas station to run them back up to 32psi. I had to put quarters in the air compressor twice to get my tires filled back up. That was $1.50 in change.

Now imagine if you had your tires down to 12psi and needed to run them back up to say 28psi so you could safely drive home from the trails. You'd probably spend anywhere between $6-12 at a gas station air pump. Sorry, I don't carry around that much in quarters on a regular basis. Plus you've got the drive from the trails to an air pump, which sometimes could be a long way away (one place I used to take my Blazer was a good 15 miles from the nearest town and air pump). I'm looking into and hoping to do the onboard air so I don't have to make drives like that on really low tire pressure. I'm also worried about the possibility of breaking a bead loose while offroad. I currently don't have a full size spare so I'd be SOL. With onboard air (or even just a compressor, but I want OBA) I wouldn't end up stranded or even in the position of having to change a tire. Just jack it up, fill it up, and keep on wheeling.

My XJ came with an AC/DC converter already installed so I could buy an AC air compressor. However, I have two 12s in the rear so I'm already losing space in the cargo area. I don't want to take up the rest with a portable compressor.

It's :cool: that I already have an AC/DC converter installed. I'll have to take the XJ camping. I'll be able to charge the cell phones and make coffee in the morning :woohoo: Gotta have my coffee in the morning.

Last edited:
I used to carry my 20lb CO2 in the back every day. As long as it's strapped in, there's very little danger.

If you somehow knock the nozzle off of it, it will become a rocket - just like any pressurized tank.

If the safety valve pops while you're inside - get out or open the windows quickly. Concentrated CO2 can cause asphyxiation. Keep this in mind when you leave kids, pets, etc inside as well.

:twocents:

A York 210 is by far the best. Alot of the older cars ran them. I think Volvos still do. Here's what to look for:

oilfix1.jpg

yorkidentification.jpg

I have a york OBA on my TJ and love it. Here's a writeup on my low budget OBA. It's for a TJ, but some of the info may be helpful.
http://jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34812&highlight=OBA

Here's some links; http://www.jeepsonly.com/How_Tos/On_Board_Air/

Hope this helps.

Mike

I need to test my current AC compressor to see if it works. I had read that mounting a second AC compressor to run onboard air requires some trickery. Examples of which would be mounting it, making room for it by getting rid of the air box and relocating the battery, measuring for a longer belt....

I went looking under my hood to see if there could possibly be ways around these things. Then I realized that I'll probably never use the AC in my Jeep. I'd have to get the system charged and if there's a leak somewhere I'll have to fix that. I also thought about my fuel milage, which since my speedo is only a few mph off I've been able to calculate. I'm only getting about 14mpg with 35s and 4.88 gears. That's not really great considering my DD gets about 32mpg. Then I thought about how much I'm going to use the Jeep on the road. Sure, its there to drive to work from time to time and take around town, but my DD has cold AC so if it's hot and humid out I can leave the Jeep parked and ride in comfort. I'm definetly not going to use the AC offroad either since AC robs power.

So provided my AC compressor already works, I've got the expensive part out of the way :wiggle:

Back