• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question on engine overrev while driving moderate speeds.

mhopton

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure how to describe this for a proper search, so I'll post up and see what y'all think.

While driving along at moderate speed 30-50mph on a road that undulates, if I take my foot off the gas and then reapply to build speed back, the tranny will cause the engine speed to over-rev 250-500 rpm before it kicks down to the proper gear. It's difficult to explain, but it's almost as if the engine tries to drop from OD to 3rd for a brief second and then falls back into OD.

It's not really a problem, just kinda strange when you're driving along and the engine speed briefly jumps before settling down.

Ugh, sorry this isn't a good explanation... that said, my 97 Sport 4x2 did this also and I could never figure it out. The above is my currend Cherokee, a 99 4x4, AW4, 231, DD w/ 91k on the clock.

thanks

You can adjust the throttle body pressure cable, and that may make a difference: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

You can test the TPS and replace it if out of specs.

If you want, you can unplug the TCU and drive it shifting manually to see if there is a hydraulic/mechanical problem.

Back