• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof sliders?

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at HD offroad engineering's "roof sliders" and i just wanted to see if anyone's had any experence with them.

Link <--- Click to see them

would they hold up if you came down pretty hard on them?

Thanks
Garrett

from the website:
"if you know you are going to continually beating on them they need to be tied into a cage"

I'm guessing you don't want to hit them to hard

If you are constantly running into trees, you need a cage anyway. If you are rubbing on rocks that high up on your XJ, you should probably build a buggy or something.

I'd say if you don't want to build your own sliders, buy the HDO ones, cut the support tubes and have the slider bars flat against the roof and drip rails. Even welding them to the drip rails would make them a ton stronger because it would disperse the weight a lot more.

If you think you need roof sliders, then you either need more experience in wheeling, or you are just crazy to buy that crap. That is the LAST thing you'd need to wheel or crawl. I live in AZ and the trails here will scare ANY wheeler! I've NEVER seen one person with "roof sliders". Does HD offroad engineering sell blinker fluid or tire radiators????

If you think you need roof sliders, then you either need more experience in wheeling, or you are just crazy to buy that crap. That is the LAST thing you'd need to wheel or crawl. I live in AZ and the trails here will scare ANY wheeler! I've NEVER seen one person with "roof sliders". Does HD offroad engineering sell blinker fluid or tire radiators????
Depends on where you live. Here, there are lots of tight, off-camber trails where the odds are leaning into a tree are quite high. All the caged trucks open-topped 4x4's I 'wheeled had paint rubbed off from leaning into trees.

...lars

Depends on where you live. Here, there are lots of tight, off-camber trails where the odds are leaning into a tree are quite high. All the caged trucks open-topped 4x4's I 'wheeled had paint rubbed off from leaning into trees.

...lars

this is why you would run them... i have damage/missing paint to my roof gutters/ upper body area due to leaning into trees. i know that out in AZ you probably dont have trees on your trails, but lots of other places do, and this product has its use. they dont advertise being a roof cage or anything else. there was a writeup not too long ago on these sliders, and ill see if i can find them

no they dont sell blinker fluid or any other stupid stuff, they happen to be a pretty good, stand up company, with damn good products.

DSCF1134_large.jpg

sdc10962_large.jpg

Given the fact that I can park on an uneven surface and be unable to close the back hatch, I don't think stock XJ bodies are strong enough for this product to be useful.

yeah but they look sick and there only $300, I would grab em. Could also use it as a slim rack and throw some lights on it.

A couple of MWC guys run those sliders- although they're probably at WinterFest right now, and not webwheeling like the rest of this. IINM, that's macgyvr's rig in the first pic Kevin posted. edit- yeah, that's it- cropped version on their website.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1009917&page=2

I haven't been to Arizona since about '79, but I'm guessing there are fewer trees now, than then. Here in the midwest, trees are still pretty common- and so is roof damage.

Back