• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I want to swap in an NP242. Called a junk yard and was told that there are two available. How do I determine which one is the better one?
What else should I look for to know that that both are good?
Thanks in advance.
Boris

What year is your rig? The early (1987-1989?) NP242 had a 21-spline input shaft, while the later ones (1989-ish and up) had a 23-spline.

I don't recall exactly when the break ran - if you have the Peugeot, it's a 21-spline. If the AX-15, it's a 23-spline. It's more of a break when sorting out the AW4 - you may be reduced to counting splines directly.

However, if you're not an 89, you're doing well, and it should be easier to sort out.

5-90

PS - if you have the later case, I'd like to see about getting the input from your NP231 as a spare - I could use another 23-spline input...

5-90

I have a 99XJ and the transfer cases are coming from a 99's. I am sure they both look pretty much the same, but was curious if there is a way just by looking to figure out which one is the better one and less abused.
Thanks

Alienspecimen said:
I have a 99XJ and the transfer cases are coming from a 99's. I am sure they both look pretty much the same, but was curious if there is a way just by looking to figure out which one is the better one and less abused.
Thanks
Coming from a 99 what?Although the spline count is the same there are still 2 different spline lengths used by Jeep!

RCP Phx said:
Coming from a 99 what?Although the spline count is the same there are still 2 different spline lengths used by Jeep!

Actually more than that depending on if it's XJ or WJ.

Back