• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which lift?

greenjeep93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just recently bought an xj and am looking into getting either a 4.5" lift or a 6.5" lift, it is killing me to decide which to get. I want your help on deciding... Opinions on each. And it would be awesome if you guys could post pictures of your xj's with4.5 and 6.5" lifts if possible

thanks, Marco

Well. I would not mind paying for the 6.5" lift. But when u lift 6.5" you have to put an sye and plenty other things... That's what's kind of making it a harder decision for me. Also, another thing I would like to know. What are the things you pretty much HAVE to upgrade when lifting 4.5" and 6.5"? I'm trying to figure out what the costs would be after lifting

The 6.5 inch lift will have mores mods just to get the lift in place, i.e. mounts and frame mods. They will both require an SYE kit and rear driveline to run the rear axle correctly without undue vibration. Either kit will allow you to run a larger tire with the 6.5 inch allowing the largest. Depending on tire choice and your existing axle's ring an pinion you may need to consider changing to lower gear ratio or face a serious loss in power to the ground. And the mods go on.... The main thing is to sit down, look at where you want to end up with your project and then consider everything it will take for not only the look you want but a build that will be safe and mechanically reliable with adequate power.

The main thing is to sit down, look at where you want to end up with your project and then consider everything it will take for not only the look you want but a build that will be safe and mechanically reliable with adequate power

agreed--^

heres my eventual plans for 6.5
RE 5.5 longarm w/ monotubes
front spring spacers
advance adapters SYE/tom woods combo
RE 1260 leaf blocks (yeah yeah i know)
boomerang shackles
dakota/YJ brakelines
upgraded tierod
35s, 5.13s in either a D44 or 8.8

Honestly, you said you just recently bought this rig. I wouldn't go much higher than 4" until you get comfortable with it and see where you want to sit in the future. In most cases you can get away without even having an SYE at 4" with a TC drop. Saving you a bit of cash there, brake lines in the rear would be needed, front can be relocated lower. Trackbar will be needed, swaybar discos. Other than this you'll be set with what you decide on the kit.

Going 6.5" will bring many mods compared to being around 4", included running at the very minimum 33s, which if it were mine i would go 35s and re gear. Everyone is different but my personal opinion is start smaller and wait until you're comfortable to go even higher.

Back