• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting axles ON the XJ

TMXONR

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to paint my axles and was wondering what all I should mask off since I am painting them ON the Jeep. I know, mask what I don't want painted, but what shouldn't get paint on it.
I have heard of people using appliance paint, has anyone on here had any experience with it. I don't want to use POR-15 because I don't want to spend alot only to still have to repaint it in a couple years. And Rustoleum is my next choice, I was just wondering how tough the Appliance paint was.

Thanks

I use crappy Ace Hardware brand "Rust Stopper" ...

it seems to work well and is pretty good priced...

Mask off the brake rotors (if you arent running the dust sheilds)...

other than that, there is nothing else to avoid... and even a little bit of paint on that wouldnt be that bad...

Use the paint you want, it will only take two cans to paint both your axles. Not a bank buster. Try not to get paint on your flexible brake lines, boots or radiator hoses because it will crack and look like crap (or tires).

TMXONR said:
I am about to paint my axles and was wondering what all I should mask off since I am painting them ON the Jeep. I know, mask what I don't want painted, but what shouldn't get paint on it.
I have heard of people using appliance paint, has anyone on here had any experience with it. I don't want to use POR-15 because I don't want to spend alot only to still have to repaint it in a couple years. And Rustoleum is my next choice, I was just wondering how tough the Appliance paint was.

Thanks

POR15 is not that expensive and a good investment. I used two of the starter kits which include all the prep chemicals, a small can of POR15, gloves and brushes, and I was able to do 3+ coats on both front and rear axles, as well as my rock rails.

http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/COMPLETEKITS/SUPERSTARTERKITS/tabid/102/Default.aspx

Spend the $45 shipped and you'll be glad you did. And since you paint it on with a brush, you won't get overspray on everything. The prep work is a bit of a PITA, but you pretty much do it once and you're done.

Edited to add: If you go the starter kit route, get some small plastic spray bottles for the prep chemicals, makes applying them much easier.

Last edited:
It's not that it costs too much, I was searching around and read that some people were having the same luck with POR 15 as they were having with Rustoleum. And I read it was because most problems with POR 15 are due to improper prep. Has anyone had experience with the Appliance paint.

just rattle can it

Back