• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problem PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

lil_red_wagon

NAXJA Forum User
Im workin on a 93 xj 4.0 AW4 NP233 HP30 C8.25 non ABS.

It came in with a empty rear section of the master cylinder and no brakes.

Long story short i have installed 4 master cylinders(3 new, 1 reman), on the rear wheel cylinders on both sides, shoes, and drums, on the front new calipers ad rotors, also have replaced all metal lines and rubber hoses, also installed new proporsitioning valve, and tried a new booster no diff.

What happens is you can pump to build brakes. let it sit for a few seconds pedal goes to the floor. We have bleed the brakes usein all the methods known. Even used a mityvac on it. I have no air anywhere. Pull 16oz of fluid through eace front wheel and 9oz of fluid through the rears. Brakes hold well when you pump them up. Rear brakes are setup really well.

pinch off the rear brake line at the rear axle to eliminate anything to do with the rear brakes.(did you adjust the rear drums until both side drag slightly?) no rear fluid would indicate bad wheel cylinders. did you check for a bad rubber brake line?

while appling bake pressure, crack open the lines out of the propvalve as there may be air in it there. i would do this at all the connections to see if there could be some air trapped and to see if you have fluid pressure. dont pump the brakes when doing this or you will suck air in.

did you beench bleed the masters before the install or while connected?

First clue: pumping to build brake pressure--you don't have to do that in a properly bled system as there is NOTHING to compress by pumping the pedal. If you are pumping the pedal and it builds pressure then you are compressing something in the brake system. As Pascal's Law cannot be overcome in our dimension, you either have air in the system OR you have an inter-dimensional XJ. My vote is air.

Common error: do the bleeder screws on the front calipers point UP? If NOT, you have them mounted on the wrong sides.

rear brakes are adjusted so tight you cant hardly turn the wheels by hand, i bench bleed the master and again a few times on the jeep, calipers dont know will check. have clamped all lines and no diff. have bleed the prop valve. plenty of pressure on all lines when crack them to bleed them.

i did use a mightyvac or what ever its called one o the vac bleeders. im leanin more toward the calipers bein on the wrong side makin the bleeders in the wrong place. i do mem them both havin the same part number one may be the wrong one. im goin to check first thing in the mornin.

i did use a mightyvac or what ever its called one o the vac bleeders. im leanin more toward the calipers bein on the wrong side makin the bleeders in the wrong place. i do mem them both havin the same part number one may be the wrong one. im goin to check first thing in the mornin.

I never had any luck with Vacuume bleeders, That is why I went to a pressure bleeder.
The Bleeder valve on the caliper has to be in the UP position.

We don't need no stinking paved driveway! http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/511908
I got a nice cushy one that I bought years ago when I lived at home with my parents, nice cushion, head rest, have not been able to use it since 85 when we built our house. Now with a paved driveway done last summer I can scoot from front to back with no problems.
Someday I hope to have a garage and not be too old to appreciate it.

Words of wisdom: Always get a garage with your house when you build it or buy it.

Back