• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ power window and door lock problem (driver's side)

1911Shooter

NAXJA Forum User
A problem developed this weekend with my power windows and power door locks on the driver's side. None of the windows work from any control and the power locks only work from the passenger side switch, not the driver's. It stopped working for a little while on Friday, then worked fine and finally quit for good.

I have the full time power windows modification and I was going to check that out but the door lock not working seemed to indicate another sort of problem.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

new switch?

It not a module. They are individual switches. Power for the door locks come through the pass side switch. Window power comes through the driver side.

You should pull both panels off a check the connectors. Also, are your door speakers working? Often the wire bundle come from the kickpanel into the doors develops a few breaks in some of the wires.

Windows.jpg

Ahhhh, interesting. If the door lock power comes from the right side then it's probably not the switches since it doesn't seem like there is any commonality between the systems. I wonder if the ground is cut to the driver's side door? The speakers in both doors work fine.

Possibly. I think I'd start there. If you need a "full size-full page" image, PM me with your email addy.

Okay, one step forward, two steps back...

I fixed the windows by undoing the full time power window mod. It was the door lock circuit all along. They only had commonality due to the mod. So, the driver's side door lock power line is only reading 8v. I've traced it back to the kick panel and the wire problem is not between the chassis and door. The wires go into the floor (or under the pad, it was hard to tell) so I have no idea where the issue may be. As an added bonus, I've noticed that the power seats on both sides are now not working. They worked a few days ago, after the door locks failed. It looks like both systems use the same breaker and constant power source.

That new Rubicon Unlimited I've been thinking about is sounding awfully good right about now...

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Back