• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newer axles in older xj

thicky

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 86 xj im swapin a sbc v8 in. i ve heard my front end and rear end are not very strong 4 a trail rig. some friends suggested full size truck axels but i kinda want 2 keep it narrow. ive seen older xj's on here that people say stuff like " it has 98 axles in it " are these stronger . why and what years are better. sorry for my ignorance ive always been a CJ guy but want 2 try something new.

a v8 will need a better tranny behind it. then theres a beefer t-case. then you can run what ever axles that will fit.

waggy axles arent too wide. do some searchin and youll find a butt load of info :D

Depending on how much you want to spend there are quite a few options.
D44 front/rear, D44 front/Copr8.25 rear, D30/D44.. etc. Maybe Find a newer 4-cyl XJ that has 4.10s and swap those axles until you can build/buy better ones?

people say the newer XJ axles are stronger because you can get a 29 spline 8.25 that's stronger than a 27 spline 8.25 or a d35, as for the vac disconnect vs non disconnect front 30 I've heard it said that both are stronger and I'm not sure who is right, you want the front axleshafts out of an XJ with ABS or a 95/96/later (I believe the switchover was mid 95 or mid 96, not sure, my 96 had em) XJ with or without ABS since they have the larger U-joints. I believe they are 29 type U-joints from the factory but you can swap in 297s/760s.

Above and beyond that, you can swap a whole bunch of different non-OEM axles in depending on how much work you feel like doing.

i just heard that some years came factory with a dana 44 front. i was just wonderin if anyone knew if it was true and which years and types. (classic, sport, or whatever)

i just heard that some years came factory with a dana 44 front. i was just wonderin if anyone knew if it was true and which years and types. (classic, sport, or whatever)

no stock axles are going to live behind a v8 with a 4 speed.

that said.

the later model front housings had bigger u joints, you're looking for a 97-99 axle for the strongest HP D30 from the factory. Big bearing pinion, 297 sized u joints.
29 spline 8.25 for the rear, unless you can find a stock D44 (not likely)

You need waggy D44s.

To the best of my knowledge, only available in the South American market. I guess you could fly down there, buy an XJ, and drive it back to get one, I certainly wouldn't want to buy one sight unseen and/or try and ship it back.

There was, as far as I know, a short run of D-44 axles on US XJ's, with the tow package in 87-88. I'm pretty sure it has to be factory tow package, and I don't think I've ever heard of one past 88.

The metric ton Comanche had a D-44, but the spring perches are for spring under rather than over, so you'd have to modify a bit. They exist though.

A D44 front and rear should do well on an XJ. XJ's are fairly light so I would think a D44 would handle anything up to 38's without much risk.

Back