• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you think about 97 wrangler flares on a XJ

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i can get a set of new 97 wrangler flares for $80 (is thats a good deal for flares?)

should i do 4 rears or i was thinking it might look cool to use front and rear just like on the wranglers front marker and everything (ill wire it to the maker)

wrangler flares hang out about 3inchs

thats a decent price. It's all about opinion, I personally wanted to run 4 rear TJ flares on my rig, but i have since started looking at different directions with the new rig.

i can get a set of new 97 wrangler flares for $80 (is thats a good deal for flares?)

should i do 4 rears or i was thinking it might look cool to use front and rear just like on the wranglers front marker and everything (ill wire it to the maker)

wrangler flares hang out about 3inchs
You can get TJ flares for less than that. Just be patient and keep searching. Put in a pic request ... you'll see that TJ front flares look stupid on an XJ. Of course that's a matter of perception. But then again I have 4 TJ rear flares on mine so I'm biased. Pay 80 bux for 4 flares and then decide you don't like the way the fronts look, then you spent 80 bux for a pair of flares.

I bought a regular used set for $45. I painted the rears & waited. A few months later I paid $20 for 1 pair of TJ Sahara rear flares at a swap meet. They stick out 1" farther than regular TJ flares. Sold the front flares from the original set for 20 bux & voila! Or something close to that the story goes. All I remember for sure was feeling good that I got 4 TJ rear flares for $45.

Patience Grasshopper ...

Wast of time. Ugly and why?

They're good for being street legal at the mall, but you're gonna lose them on the trail sticking out that far.

I have a set on my rig, I like the fronts on. Also they look different, 4 rears look too plain for me. But like everyone else said, it's all preference.

Here's an older pic.

100_1155.jpg

In my opinion it looks really weird to put the front TJ flares on an XJ. On the other hand, depending on how well they are installed the size of tire your running, the rear TJ flares can look great.

I would search around on the board, theres definitely been some write ups on here about it.

-victor

I like the look. My opinion is 4 rear flares look stupid.

Loose them on the trail? Any flare can be lost on the trail. Thats an ignorant statement.

If its the look you like then do it. Everyone has there own opinion!

XJ008.jpg

The flares I run fold in up on trees. And they have been on my rig for a several months. Rubber

I used to run a set of old YJ flares. Not the best photo but it gives you an idea. I ran them for several years and they held up VERY well. They folded well getting rubbed up on tree's and rocks and took the abuse well.
I suspect that the TJ flares would hold up simarly. The TJ flares are a slightly larger wheel well also.

DSCN9114.jpg

Michael

I think they work flawlessly! I installed mine with 1/8 pop rivets and commercial grade sticky tape because I consider them sacrificial. If I ever rip one off ill just move up one size fastener.

IMG_0605.jpg

I installed the front flares almost 2 years ago to keep the police happy. Seems to have worked. They dont keep the mud off the jeep but oh well.

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_0882-1.jpg

Joe

I like the look. My opinion is 4 rear flares look stupid.

Loose them on the trail? Any flare can be lost on the trail. Thats an ignorant statement.

If its the look you like then do it. Everyone has there own opinion!

XJ008.jpg
:huh:Well, maybe you can explain how 4 rears look stupid. IMO they look just like the stock '97-'01 flares ... on steroids. I see no point in having 2 yellow markers right next to each other, with no rhyme or reason, no symmetry etc. Plus most vehicles have matching front/rear flares. Using front TJ flares on an XJ pretty much ruins the look of an XJ. :eek: IMHO

These have been on my XJ for about 2 years, never been ripped off, fronts bolted on, rears held with 3M tape. Keeps the popo happy, keeps my XJ looking good. IMO. They flex, scrape, twist and with no issues. I agree about anyflare can get ripped off. So far all I've had to do is paint repair!

3wheelin2x.jpg

airborne.jpg

7_09(2).jpg

I wanted to go with a set of four rear YJ flares, ended up going with just a normal full set. I hate the turn-signal on the front of the TJ flares and the shape of it, that was one reason for going YJ. Another was the YJ's turn-signal area is fairly flat and large and I plan on mounting small 55w driving lights on them at 45* for a wide light-spread during night runs. I ended up trimming the flares up quite a bit so they mounted even with the lower body-line. Trimmed the actual fenders up a bit more too... no more rubby rub at full stuff and full steering lock :)

24546_375206726912_642731912_4810170_4571200_n.jpg

12294_391644846912_642731912_4868193_3150013_n.jpg

:huh:Well, maybe you can explain how 4 rears look stupid.
OK, so stupid was a bit harsh. I don't like the way the flare is cut in the front. To each his own.

Using front TJ flares on an XJ pretty much ruins the look of an XJ. :eek: IMHO

Really? cause it changes all the body lines, doors, and headlights and basically everything that makes an XJ what it is? Hmmm, Sounds logical. :eek:

Now go back and start crap in your own chapter.

Now go back and start crap in your own chapter.
I'm not here "starting crap". I responded to a question and posted pics to support my position. If that's starting crap, then it's what I do. Posts like yours are why Naxja is getting a rep for being snobbish and partisan. What difference does it make if I post from Egypt?

Where is it written that you can't post in another chapter? When I click "New Posts" everyone comes up. So maybe Naxja should alter their software so that only the NAC comes up.

Back