• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Outside Door Handle "gaskets"

Muad'Dib

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the title of this thread states.. Im looking to find / replace the gaskets that go between the door handle and the door. Im swaping out my old faded handles with some Chrome ones i got at the JY. The ones i picked up have fairly decent gaskets on them... but i figure while i got it all apart why not get new ones right? However it appears its a dealer only item (if you can even get them by themselfs).

Can anyone give me some additional information? Maybe even a part number? Or is it really even worth it? Should i just soak the old gaskets in silicone and use them and not worry about it?

Thanks for your time.

I swapped to newer style handles, from a 98 or something onto my 92, the newer ones don't even have gaskets so im not sure they are needed, although the chrome ones are steel where as the black newer ones are plastic, so that gasket might just be to stop scratching or something.

C/N Just use the ones you have, my $.02

The 91-93 parts catalog shows 5500 2181 "gasket, rear of handle". Interestingly it also shows 5500 2180 "gasket, front of handle" which I have never seen in practice. I don't know if they are available from the dealership or not. I tried to buy the gaskets for the locks and was told they were unavailable so I ended up buying O-rings with the right ID.

The handles and whatnot can be used on either side. Pretty easy to remove, let me know if you have any issues.

Inner tube (free at tire shop), X-Acto knife No. 1 ($2.79), hand-made door handle gaskets--Priceless.

Back