• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody know machinists or shops local?

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like a simple tool machined if I could. I don't have the dimensions or a CAD drawing off hand but perhaps I could make one, it really doesn't need to be completely exact. I was wondering if anyone knows any machinists or shops that would be willing to help, thanks.

if u have a cad drawing i might now a guy in the my neighbor hood that runs cnc machines

I don't have a CAD of it but I might be able to make one. I'm pretty rusty with CAD though.
Basically here are a few pics of the tool:
857217.thumb

857218.thumb

I don't have a CAD of it but I might be able to make one. I'm pretty rusty with CAD though.
Basically here are a few pics of the tool:
857217.thumb

857218.thumb

857219.thumb

857224.thumb

rear_hub_puller_lg1.jpg

Russ Pottenger is one of the best machinists in So Cal, and he is a NAXJA member using his own name as member. You can PM him

It really shouldn't be that hard of a part to make, hopefully it won't cost much either. That part is about 90 bucks. The cheapest is I think 50 and I don't feel like ordering it if I can just have someone make one real quick.

It really shouldn't be that hard of a part to make, hopefully it won't cost much either. That part is about 90 bucks. The cheapest is I think 50 and I don't feel like ordering it if I can just have someone make one real quick.

Most shops in the OC charge 60-120 bux/hr depending on the job...... I couldn't make that part in under an hour.

50 bux is cheap at twice the price..... Order one now....

Yeah I asked some machinists how much it would be, guess I'll have to order it. It's a drum hub puller for a 32-48 Ford. They also have a universal type hub puller but I can't find anyone that has it, no one rents it either.
Looks like this:
OTC-7394.jpg

Yeah I asked some machinists how much it would be, guess I'll have to order it. It's a drum hub puller for a 32-48 Ford. They also have a universal type hub puller but I can't find anyone that has it, no one rents it either.
Looks like this:
OTC-7394.jpg
You could probably use a 3 pronged slide hammer or a 3 jaw puller, both can be had at Harbor freight cheap.

I have a machine shop here at work, and our set-up change is like $150. You would have to make those in a good size quantity to get the price down to $90, or go off shore like everything else seems to be doing

I'll probably just order the tool. The only reason why I figured a machine shop could do it is because they are close by, as in I don't have to order and wait for the part to come in. I'm pretty much screwed either way. Autozone and Pepboys don't have anything close that would work, and I'm sure Kragan wouldn't and Napa wouldn't either. I looked on HF's website and they don't have one either, mainly just gear pullers and pitman arm pullers which won't work. I either need an adjustable one that can work with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and can clear the taper on the axle, or that cup style one I want machined that can clamp onto the dip in the taper on the drum.

Thats what I was gonna say Grimm!

Any reason not to make the universal type? Wouldnt need a machinist, just a friend with a welder, and some brews.

Back