• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External Check Valve problem?

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
A simple question for those of you that have installed an external Check Valve as a result of a failure of the checkvalve in your fuel pump assembly.

Please provide the year of your rig and the nature of the problem that was a direct result of the external check valve installation.

It would help to know which check valve you used too.

Thanks folks

Also:
If you've installed one and not had any problems, please post up your details as well.

1990, no problema.

Purchased 3/8" inline fuel check valve from seller jbass195 on eBay for $14 plus $2 s/h.

Installed the check valve between the fuel filter and the tank, used two lined hose clamps from NAPA.

NOTE: if you have a post-fuel return line XJ DO NOT attempt an external check valve--you will likely blow the lid of your fuel rail dampner for your troubles.

96 and down.

97+ relocated the fuel pressure regulator to the tank/pump assembly, eliminating the fuel return line, and added a fuel impulse dampner to the fuel rail.

I used the BMW check valve.
I have 89XJ 4.0L .. typical long cranking time. Installed it in front of the fuel filter, between that and the engine. Has helped a bit.

Just to clear things up, I have a 98 xj so I can not use the external check valve? Is this correct? Thanks

Does the Pressure Regulator/filter have to be replaced or can I just put the valve inline like it sets?

(if you have a post-fuel return line XJ DO NOT attempt an external check valve--you will likely blow the lid of your fuel rail dampner for your troubles)

Would this apply on a 98? Thanks again

Back