• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chipped Reverse Gear on AX15... rebuild possible?

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Well with all the wheeling I've been doing lately I got a good deal of water in my tranny fluid. Before I realized something was wrong I chipped or broke off a tooth on my reverse gear on my AX15 transmission (what my mechanic said).

It still runs fine and will back up normal but it clicks every time the gear hits the broken part.

My question: Can I buy the reverse gear and swap it out? If so where? Is it worth it to rebuild this tranny or just look for a donor tranny to swap out?

Thanks in advance.

You can get AX15 parts all over the place.

Google "AX15 reverse gear".

Check your local salvage yards and craigslist--you might pick up a complete AX15 for the price of the parts.

Yes you can rebuild. If it drives "okay" now, replacing just the reverse gears should be fine. As long as the rest of it is not damaged.

depends on how much you want to spend, but if you baby the reverse gear it should last a long long time. then again if you off road it, and NEED to be able to put heavy load on it, rebuild it or buy a used one IMO.

WHen i had a VW this chipped reverse gear thing was common, and if driven very gently in reverse would last for a looooooong time before finally giving up, if it ever did.

Back